Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available
Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #878188] Mon, 28 May 2012 19:28 Go to next message
Lars Vogel is currently offline Lars VogelFriend

Just to let you know my Eclipse 4 Book for the Kindle is available as Early Access Version.

Eclipse 4 RCP development

I plan to release the final version and a paper version after the Juno release. Kindle reader will get an update.

The content of the book is primary based on my website but I added some additional material to have a consistent example.

Best regards, Lars
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #878563 is a reply to message #878188] Tue, 29 May 2012 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phill Perryman is currently offline Phill PerrymanFriend
Bought the book and read it. It does pull all the stuff into one place. Well worth the money.

Some comments however. I am assuming you want as much feedback as possible while it is an early access version.

I have a few errata but http://www.vogella.com/eclipse4book/errata.html goes to a page not found so I can't tell if it is already reported.

I have not looked at the source code because I can't seem to access it. The book assumes you know about git (never used it). I did track down an egit plugin which I installed and guessed I wanted to clone the repository but I get a "cannot list branchs on ls-remote command" error when I paste in the link. Could the book include steps for getting the source for those not familiar with git.

I would have also liked to see a section on editors. My existing 3.x rcp has multiple editors with usually multiple instances of editors. I was trying to think how I would do some things I commonly do in 3x in e4.

If the existing sample app could be extended so the top level model was a stack and the todo was one item on the stack then a simple File - Open Text Editor menu item could prompt for a text file and open a editor also on the stack(editor is just a composite with a text field). How would an editor decide there was already an open instance if the user tries to re-open the same file (3.x does this for you).

This would then demonstrate the dynamically created editor and placing it in the model. A simple dirty/save mechanism could be added. Also adding a file - close menu item which was only visible when the text editor was open and not the todo view, would show the use of visible when control on menus and dynamically closing parts.

A lot of my 3.x menus have a visible when, active editor Id = "xxx". How is this achieved in e4 as there is not a real editor part any longer. Should it be visible when expressions or can it be done with switching contexts on an MPart change. Some guidance on best practice would be very welcome.

I would also have liked to have seen a Clear Text command added which showed up as an Edit - Clear Text menu, as a dynamically visible toolbar icon and as a context menu item within the editor which just cleared the text field. It would re-use the same visible logic as the close menu item. The duplicating of edit commands across the edit menu, context menu and sometimes the toolbar is a common occurance in editors.

I could not see anything in the book which showed how to create context menus in editors (parts opened by code) as the part is not defined in the xmi where does the popup menu get defined. So how do you programmatically define a popup menu.
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #879240 is a reply to message #878563] Wed, 30 May 2012 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Phill,

thanks for the feedback, the errata page has been created. Currently it only lists that the Git repo is not complete yet. Please send any error you find, that will be helpful. Thanks!

Some code is already in the Git repo, I'm planning to add a chapter to the book how how to use the Git repo via the Git plug-in for Eclipse in the final version.

Thanks also for the suggestion to include a part for editors, I try to add this for the final release.

Best regards, Lars

Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #880667 is a reply to message #878188] Sat, 02 June 2012 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Haney is currently offline Mike HaneyFriend
I've always loved all the information on your website, so I jumped at the chance to get the book when it popped up on my "recommended" list on my Kindle the other day (yes, I buy WAY too many tech books).

Anyway, I'm trying to work through some examples and am stumbling right out of the gate. I downloaded the Juno RC2 drop, which is the latest stable release, but when I try to install the e4 tools, all I see available is the CSS Spy and CSS Editor. All of the e4 Tools entries do not appear on the integration build site (htt?://download.eclipse.org/e4/updates/0.12-I-builds/).

I thought maybe they graduated the tooling to the main platform, but I can't find anything on the regular Juno releases update site that looks like the tooling (assuming they would have renamed it to remove the 'e4' designation if they promoted it).

Am I just looking in the wrong place, or have things been moved around in anticipation of the Juno release?
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #880702 is a reply to message #880667] Sat, 02 June 2012 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

@Mike, I noted that today too, I assume that is an error. Looks like you can use the RC1 update site http://download.eclipse.org/e4/downloads/drops/S-0.12RC1-201205162300/repository/

I pinged the other Eclipse 4 people to see what is wrong with the integration site.
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #881398 is a reply to message #880702] Mon, 04 June 2012 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

You can see it if you uncheck Group by Category. It just dropped out with a feature up-version, it should be back soon.

PW

Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #883933 is a reply to message #878188] Sat, 09 June 2012 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brett Baudin is currently offline Brett BaudinFriend
Lars,
I am working through your book. Just after Table 16.1 when you have configured all your parts and you say to start up the application most likely you see nothing you have added unless you make sure you explicitly save your model and clear your workspace. This is less than obvious to someone not familiar with eclipse.

Brett
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #884120 is a reply to message #883933] Sun, 10 June 2012 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Brett,
next version of the book includes an exercise to use the -clearPersistedState flag to clear the deltas of the model.

Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #884687 is a reply to message #878188] Mon, 11 June 2012 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Condarelli is currently offline Mauro CondarelliFriend
On 28/05/2012 21:28, Lars Vogel wrote:
> Just to let you know my Eclipse 4 Book for the Kindle is available as
> Early Access Version.
> http://www.vogella.com/blog/2012/05/28/eclipse-4-book-for-kindle-available-early-access-version/
>
>
> I plan to release the final version and a paper version after the Juno
> release. Kindle reader will get an update.
> The content of the book is primary based on my website but I added some
> additional material to have a consistent example.
> Best regards, Lars
Hi,
I'm very interested, but I don't own a Kindle and i don't (currently)
plan to buy one.
Is the content readable on PC (via kindle emulator, Adobe, or whatever)?

Regards and Many thanks for Your work
Mauro
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #884731 is a reply to message #884687] Mon, 11 June 2012 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Mauro,

thanks.

The book is planned to be published also a paper edition approx. 2 weeks after the official Eclipse 4.2 release.

Best regards, Lars
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #894701 is a reply to message #884731] Tue, 10 July 2012 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Condarelli is currently offline Mauro CondarelliFriend
On 11/06/2012 19:34, Lars Vogel wrote:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> thanks.
> The book is planned to be published also a paper edition approx. 2 weeks
> after the official Eclipse 4.2 release.
> Best regards, Lars
Hi,
I went ahead and bought Your book.
FYI: It can be view using the "kindle for PC" program from Amazon.

I got the "early access" version; what should I do to upgrade to the
"released" version?
Can it be done or should I buy again?
In such a case: are the changes worth the money? (In Your opinion, of
course)

TiA
Mauro
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #894702 is a reply to message #894701] Tue, 10 July 2012 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Mauro,

Once I release you will be able to get the updated version for free. Yes, I think the update is worth the (zero) money. Smile

Best regards, Lars
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #894722 is a reply to message #894702] Tue, 10 July 2012 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marek Jasovsky is currently offline Marek JasovskyFriend
Hi Lars

will you be able to include some more stuff on editors in the updated version?

Thanks a lot in advance

Regards, Marek
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #894723 is a reply to message #894722] Tue, 10 July 2012 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Marek,

no, I haven't added more to editors. AFAIK Editor support is planned to get improved in Eclipse 4.3.

Best regards, Lars
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #894726 is a reply to message #894723] Tue, 10 July 2012 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marek Jasovsky is currently offline Marek JasovskyFriend
Hi Lars.

do you know, where I can find some more info on planned support for editors in 4.3 Release?

Do you know some attempts to use Eclipse for more rich-text kind of editor? simple formatting, but not a programming language, rather translations from one language to another, being able to render e.g. texts in 2 languages parallel to each other, etc. do you think that Eclipse 4.x Platform is suitable for a project like this? still the idea about views, connecting view to editor and other plugins seems to be very useful also for such kind of a application

thanks a lot in advance

LG, Marek
Re: Eclipse 4 Book Early Access Version for Kindle available [message #894730 is a reply to message #894726] Tue, 10 July 2012 09:53 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Also irc://freenode.net/#eclipse-e4 is the eclipse 4 IRC channel where questions are answered. Anyone having questions is welcome there.
Previous Topic:Processors
Next Topic:Alternate row color
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:07:53 GMT 2024