Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Separate editors from code?
Separate editors from code? [message #876279] Thu, 24 May 2012 09:45 Go to next message
Maarten Bezemer is currently offline Maarten BezemerFriend
Hi all,

I thought to start this as a topic (instead of a bug report) as it is easier to discuss on the forum.

I was wondering whether it is possible to separate the editors from the (engine) code?

For the application I am developing, I use the official releases as much as possible, so the users can easily install Epsilon.
But, for development I would like to use the most up-to-date editors (especially since some of my bugs are fixed in the unreleased version).

Currently, the editors cannot not easily replaced, unless one dives into the framework and finds out which parts/plugins provide the editors and (somehow) update only those parts. (As far as I know)

Another reason is that the users of my application does not require the editors, so they do not need to waste resources on this (although it probably would not be too much...).

Regards,
Maarten
Re: Separate editors from code? [message #876282 is a reply to message #876279] Thu, 24 May 2012 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Maarten,

This is indeed a valid point. Epsilon's decomposition into features is indeed very coarse right now and we'll need to rethink how to best reorganise it. I think it's best to open a bug report for this so that we can keep track of any progress in this front.

Cheers,
Dimitris

Re: Separate editors from code? [message #876462 is a reply to message #876282] Thu, 24 May 2012 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Horacio Hoyos is currently offline Horacio HoyosFriend

If I may add, not only the editors, but also the wizards and all other UI/user friendly code/plugins. As Maarten my application runs epsilon transformations in the "back" and the users don't really need to know that it is epsilon what I am using. So with a more fine separation we could control more easily what editors, views, menus, wizards, etc., we want to deploy.

Regards,

Horacio Hoyos Rodriguez
Kinori Tech
Need professional support for Epsilon, EMF?
Go to: https://kinori.tech
Re: Separate editors from code? [message #876580 is a reply to message #876279] Thu, 24 May 2012 21:51 Go to previous message
Maarten Bezemer is currently offline Maarten BezemerFriend
I created bug #380597.
Previous Topic:[ann] New example: EGL+GMF+Papyrus integration
Next Topic:Question on multiple validators (for the same object) and fixes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:48:02 GMT 2024