Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Embedded system startup time(Optimizing the startup time on an embedded system)
Embedded system startup time [message #875576] Wed, 23 May 2012 01:23 Go to next message
Steven Falco is currently offline Steven FalcoFriend
I am involved with building an embedded system using Virgo Tomcat. Our basic OS (on an Atom processor, running Linux) boots very quickly, but it takes several minutes for our application to start up.

The app is based on Virgo Tomcat, and I am looking for guidance as to how we can optimize startup.

For instance, it seems that the 'work' directory is rebuilt from the ground up on a reboot. Is there any way to preserve the contents - a sort of 'suspend' mode, or is this behavior inherent in the way Virgo Tomcat works?

Also, is there a way to determine which artifacts are, or will be needed? Any way to prune out or defer some artifacts, or is that list already optimized by Virgo Tomcat?

I'm looking for a factor of 5 improvement, and I don't know if it is reasonable to shoot for that, or if we are attempting to misuse a 'big iron' software stack on a low-horsepower embedded system.

Opinions, suggestions, etc. are all welcome.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 May 2012 01:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Embedded system startup time [message #875604 is a reply to message #875576] Wed, 23 May 2012 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Steven Falco wrote on Tue, 22 May 2012 21:23
I'm looking for a factor of 5 improvement, and I don't know if it is reasonable to shoot for that, or if we are attempting to misuse a 'big iron' software stack on a low-horsepower embedded system.

Opinions, suggestions, etc. are all welcome.

I can't speak that much to the runtime implementation issues, but what I can say is that your setup sounds wicked cool, and I hope you're able to make it work! Have you considered the Kernel or even Nano? They seem like they would be ideal for your case.. Do you really need the full web/app server stack?
Re: Embedded system startup time [message #876134 is a reply to message #875604] Thu, 24 May 2012 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
> Have you considered the Kernel or even Nano?

Not sure what you mean. We are using virgo kernel and virgo tomcat server. I'll have to search around and see what nano is.
Re: Embedded system startup time [message #876744 is a reply to message #876134] Fri, 25 May 2012 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Nano is a new distribution in the upcoming Virgo 3.5.0 release. It's really small and fast and yet has many basic Virgo features. Grab "Virgo Nano Full" 3.5.0.M04 from the downloads->milestones page. It has a single region, no PARs or plans, but still has a pickup directory for easy installation of bundles and the Gogo shell and Virgo "medic" diagnostics.
Re: Embedded system startup time [message #877156 is a reply to message #876744] Sat, 26 May 2012 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool. I'll grab a copy and take a look. Thanks.
Re: Embedded system startup time [message #879145 is a reply to message #875576] Wed, 30 May 2012 15:47 Go to previous message
Rich Mayfield is currently offline Rich MayfieldFriend
Is there a way we can have our cake and eat it too?

Or, put another way, is there any way to configure or optimize Virgo's startup experience other than to go with the more stripped down distributions?

I'm wondering, as was the poster, if there's a way to snapshot all of the bundle resolutions so that Virgo does not have to recalculate all of the dependencies and resolution in the repositories. Or... if there are common practices we can adopt in defining a bundle and its dependencies that help Virgo do the work faster.
Previous Topic:Maintain http session web bundle
Next Topic:The watched repository does not automatically picks up artifacts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:20:58 GMT 2024