Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Copy/paste test steps in stand-alone version 1.2
Copy/paste test steps in stand-alone version 1.2 [message #875340] Tue, 22 May 2012 14:49 Go to next message
Richard Skoog is currently offline Richard SkoogFriend
Hi,

I'm using the stand-alone version 1.2. One of the new features of Jubula 1.2 should be copy/paste of test steps, but I can't find that functionality. Of course structuring of the test cases is the most important thing but in some cases it should be really nice to copy/paste one or a couple of test steps.

Will it be implemented ot maybe it's already there somewhere?

Regards Richard

[Updated on: Tue, 22 May 2012 14:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Copy/paste test steps in stand-alone version 1.2 [message #875354 is a reply to message #875340] Tue, 22 May 2012 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

The feature you're looking for is "Save As New Test Case". It's available in the Editors in the context menu and is documented under the heading "Saving Test Cases from an editor as a new Test Case" in the user manual. More information on it is also in this bug and this one.

HTH,
Alex
Re: Copy/paste test steps in stand-alone version 1.2 [message #875673 is a reply to message #875354] Wed, 23 May 2012 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Skoog is currently offline Richard SkoogFriend
Hi,

"Save As New Test Case" is a nice feature but it can only be used when you want to extract a couple of test steps into a new test case.
The "copy/paste" functionality I'm looking for should make it possible to copy one or multiple test steps into already created test cases.

Any plans of implementing that?

Regards Richard
Re: Copy/paste test steps in stand-alone version 1.2 [message #875683 is a reply to message #875673] Wed, 23 May 2012 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'm afraid not at the moment - the Save As feature was added to deal with the use case that everything is correctly modularized, but that separate test cases often need the same or similar modules (also often in a different order, or with items in between). If you have two consecutive test steps or test cases in Test Case A, and you need them in Test Case B, then the preferred route would be via Refactor -> Extract. This makes a module out of the items you selected. Even if the steps / test cases in Test Case A are not consecutive, it may be worth refactoring each of them into a module. After all, you need it more than once Wink

Best regards,
Alex

Re: Copy/paste test steps in stand-alone version 1.2 [message #899355 is a reply to message #875683] Tue, 31 July 2012 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miroslav Jankovic is currently offline Miroslav JankovicFriend
The copy/paste function would be extremely useful.

I believe that many people tried ctrl+c on some test step Wink

For example: In some test case I have to add manually 20 'wait' steps. It would be much easier if I could create one step, while the rest of them will be gained by simply copying (and change parameter 'millisecs' where I want).

The same thing is with a test steps (actions) that can not be recorded by observatin mode (select cell of table...), but they often repeated in test case.
Re: Copy/paste test steps in stand-alone version 1.2 [message #899547 is a reply to message #899355] Wed, 01 August 2012 11:27 Go to previous message
Hi,

Instead of using test steps, why don't you use the unbound modules? There's one for waiting in the "unbound modules concrete" in the category "Wait". You can then just add how many milliseconds to wait each time, or even create your own module that has the amount of time to wait fixed as the parameter.

The cheat sheets give you an overview of working with the unbound modules. You can start them from the help menu.

(I'd also try to review why you need so many waits, but that's another topic Smile )

Basically, for any recurring set of actions, or one action with specific data / component names that you need again and again - make a module (Test Case) for it. Then you have one single place to edit it instead of all the places you would have copied and pasted it.

HTH,
Alex
Previous Topic:TestExec Command Not Working
Next Topic:My AUT does not start by testexec during Test Job
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:19:51 GMT 2024