Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Eclipse IDE as a pure E4 IDE
Eclipse IDE as a pure E4 IDE [message #874943] Mon, 21 May 2012 20:45 Go to next message
Josh Davis is currently offline Josh DavisFriend
Is there a timeline for the eclipse IDE consisting of purely E4? I read in other forum threads that if you want to create a plugin for E4 Eclipse SDK to follow the same methods used when creating 3.x plugins. I was just curious if there is any idea as to when the IDE will consist of purely E4(4.4, 4.5, ???). How long will 3.x plugins be supported?
Re: Eclipse IDE as a pure E4 IDE [message #875267 is a reply to message #874943] Tue, 22 May 2012 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roland Tepp is currently offline Roland TeppFriend
This is purely a speculation on my part but I am afraid, the move to
architecturaly pure e4 IDE in the sense that all the contained plugins
and functionality does not need a compat layer and relies purely on e4
aPIs and DI features, is not going to happen any time soon.

Eclipse 3.x ecosystem is simply too massive to be ported to the e4 just
for the sake of porting it to the new platform.

Some of the existing tooling solutions (CDT ja JDT come to mind) are
simply too well established and work well enough, that the task of
completely porting them to e4 might be just not justifiable.

21.05.2012 23:45, Josh Davis kirjutas:
> Is there a timeline for the eclipse IDE consisting of purely E4? I read
> in other forum threads that if you want to create a plugin for E4
> Eclipse SDK to follow the same methods used when creating 3.x plugins. I
> was just curious if there is any idea as to when the IDE will consist of
> purely E4(4.4, 4.5, ???). How long will 3.x plugins be supported?
Re: Eclipse IDE as a pure E4 IDE [message #880673 is a reply to message #875267] Sat, 02 June 2012 16:50 Go to previous message
Mike Haney is currently offline Mike HaneyFriend
I agree with Roland. The bigger question is - so what?

The primary benefits of E4 are in the application model for RCP/plugin developers. As far as the IDE goes, the main benefit to end users is the comparative ease of maintenance and adding new features to the IDE. Personally, I'm glad that all 100+ projects under Eclipse (not to mention the hundreds of 3rd party tool developers) are not rushing to port their plugins to "pure" eclipse 4 model - I would much rather have the devs focused on bug fixes or new features. When the pain or limitations of supporting the older application model outweigh the costs of porting, then is the time to move, but each project should be able to decide that on their own.

Of course, outside the IDE, it's a different story. You are free to choose if/when you want to use the compatibility layer in your RCP apps. The important thing is, you have a CHOICE. Even for new RCP applications, sometimes the choice to use the 3.x model and the compatibility layer might be the correct one (e.g. project time constraints vs the time to retrain developers who are already experienced with the 3.x model, in-house tooling that hasn't been updated to the 4.x model yet, etc).

IMO, the compatibility layer was a very wise decision, and kudos to the platform team for that implementation. If you think about it, it's really quite an engineering feat to pull off, considering the considerable differences between the platforms in many areas. The compatibility layer (and in fact the whole 3.x to 4.x migration) are an excellent example of how to do this without giving your user base ulcers. We've all been burned by OSS projects that introduce major incompatible API changes on updates, many times with dubious touted benefits (Tapestry is an example that immediately comes to mind). That kind of thing can't happen with the Eclipse platform, but then again, most of us know they wouldn't let that happen (the process is too well managed) which is why we feel confident enough to base our development on Eclipse.
Previous Topic:Project context menu
Next Topic:styling the menu and menu items?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:15:20 GMT 2024