Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » How to set variables when using Excel as source
How to set variables when using Excel as source [message #874806] Mon, 21 May 2012 15:28 Go to next message
Sup SCFriend
Hi all,

is it possible to take values out of an Excel sheet as data source and use these as variables?
In Jubula data sets I can give VAR1, VAR2, VARn as Variables in data sets, which then are set to different values when executing the test case (e.g. columns in a table).
When trying this with Excel, where VAR1, VAR2, VARn are values of a specific column in the sheet, this does not seem to work. The test case (which is set to get a variable at the specific position) itself does not complain, but the variables are not set after running it, as they were with Jubula data sets.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it only possible to get Strings out of the Excel data set, and there is no possibility to use these as variables?

Thanks
(I know we are discouraged to use Excel in favor of Jubula data sets, but it just seems much more practicable when using a larger count of columns with data dependencys amongst many sets)
Re: How to set variables when using Excel as source [message #875083 is a reply to message #874806] Tue, 22 May 2012 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

You are right, the Excel support only allows the transfer of Strings, not referenced parameters (i.e. =VAR1). I'm not sure whether it would work for variables ($VAR1) - I've never tried it.

Best regards,
Alex
Re: How to set variables when using Excel as source [message #875165 is a reply to message #875083] Tue, 22 May 2012 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sup SCFriend
Thanks for the answer but I think we have a combination of a bad description of my problem and - additionally - an error in my test case.
What I meant was, that I have a string (name of the variable) in the Excel cell, that I want to pass as 'Variable' parameter for my test case. In the test case I am trying to set the variable to be able to evaluate some values from the outside, which are set in the inside of the test case. As my test cases are 'a bit' stacked I unfortunately had overseen, that at a certain point the string (variable name) out of the Excel sheet has not been further passed as Jubula variable, but as string, so the inner TC which tried to set the variable set a wrong variable and this was the cause of my problem, that I could not read it from the outside.
With using the correct parameter passing mode as Jubula variable I can access the variable from the outside as expected, no problem here anymore.

Re: How to set variables when using Excel as source [message #875195 is a reply to message #875165] Tue, 22 May 2012 09:48 Go to previous message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Glad it's working now! Thanks for the explanation Smile
Previous Topic:Jubula Eclipse Plugin??
Next Topic:Cannot capture in tabbed pane
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:31:59 GMT 2024