Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access(can't access files on ftp server)
"Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #874556] Mon, 21 May 2012 06:34 Go to next message
Sumit Kumar is currently offline Sumit KumarFriend
Hi everybody,

as you figured i'm a very beginner and currently stuck at a small issue.

I'm trying to remote access my ftp server using "TM and RSE 3.1.1" from
download.eclipse org/dsdp/tm/updates/3.0
and get the following error when i try to access it:

"Operation Failed. File system input or output error."

I have the exact same eclipse version with this plugin on my other PC and it works just fine. The only difference is, on this machine i additionally have a SVN software installed for eclipse.

i'm using eclipse indigo on windows 7.

If you need anything else (logs or something) let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards
Sumit

Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #875219 is a reply to message #874556] Tue, 22 May 2012 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did i do anything wrong in the way i posted my question or does nobody knew the answer yet?
Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #877988 is a reply to message #874556] Mon, 28 May 2012 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alberto Gomez is currently offline Alberto GomezFriend
Same problem here,Pleeze help us!
Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #878012 is a reply to message #877988] Mon, 28 May 2012 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I guess It will be better if I ellaborate a little bit.

This is really odd specially because the RSE FTP used to work flawlessly, when all out of a sudden stopped working , and I don't think I did anything to break it.

Basically when I connect trough ftp, everything is fine, it gets connected, because I can see in the console the server responding toand the last ftp command sent to the server is a PASV, and the server doesnt seem to respond.(Although it does with an "227 entering passive mode" but I can only see this monitoring the connection with wireshark, not in the console).

I've tried changing the mode to not passive, and I get same result , but obviously without PASV command.

I don't think the priblem involves a firewall or a server setting, I have connected with some other software with same ftp settings included passive mode, and I haven't had any trouble.

As I said I tried monitoring the connection with wireshark and I noticed that right after the last successful message, the RSE sends a message that wireshark marks as having an "incorrect ip checksum (maybe caused by 'ip checksum offload')".I'm not a tcp/ip expert, I just thought It could give some extra information to any kind soul that is able to help us
Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #878400 is a reply to message #874556] Tue, 29 May 2012 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a bit hopeless, looking at the number of views of this post I can see more that 1000 have read it, but no one replied.
Anyway, I've found another bit of information .
The first time the rse tries to connect the error message is different(only the first time)
this is :Operation failed due to network I/O error 'java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error'

Please, If we are posting in the wrong place or not following the rules, somebody, say something!
Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #878520 is a reply to message #878400] Tue, 29 May 2012 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 5/29/2012 2:36 AM, Alberto Gomez wrote:
> I'm a bit hopeless, looking at the number of views of this post I can
> see more that 1000 have read it, but no one replied.
> Anyway, I've found another bit of information .
> The first time the rse tries to connect the error message is
> different(only the first time)
> this is :Operation failed due to network I/O error
> 'java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error'
>
> Please, If we are posting in the wrong place or not following the rules,
> somebody, say something!

(No, your post is fine. You do realize that last weekend was a major US
holiday? Fewer respondants may have been present in the forum.)
Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #878954 is a reply to message #874556] Wed, 30 May 2012 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh thanks for letting me know, I had no idea!
Hope you all had a nice holyday, and thanks again for answering.
I will watch this space to see if there's someone that can help.
Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #881617 is a reply to message #874556] Mon, 04 June 2012 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Morten Munkholm is currently offline Morten MunkholmFriend
The new Java 7 is what breaks it.

Revert to Java 6 and see if that helps - took me ages to try out, but it worked!

Can be found here:
java.com/en/download/manual_v6.jsp

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2012 23:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #882845 is a reply to message #881617] Thu, 07 June 2012 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sir Munkholm, You are an ace.Thanks a lot
icon10.gif  Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #894620 is a reply to message #874556] Mon, 09 July 2012 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lonnie Price is currently offline Lonnie PriceFriend
Great!!!! It worked for me!!! Thanks, Mr. Munkholm.
Also Thanks Mr. Kumar for the post!!
Re: "Operation Failed" during remote ftp access [message #895664 is a reply to message #894620] Sat, 14 July 2012 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
solved it for me as well. nice! Thanks
Re: "Operation Failed" / "Connection reset by peer: socket write error" [message #899024 is a reply to message #874556] Mon, 30 July 2012 08:38 Go to previous message
Stefan M is currently offline Stefan MFriend
Hello Guys

Using the older vm really do it for me too (thank you very much for this hint). But there must be another secret. I am using different FTP connections to different FTP servers and some of them working others not. So this behavior must also depend on the servers (settings? software? how to figure out which server/settings is installed on a host?)

Ok, iam not the "Serverman" but maybe this could be another brick to build a solution.

adios, Stefan

[Updated on: Mon, 30 July 2012 09:10]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Passing jvm arguments through windows shortcut
Next Topic:Eclipse administrative questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 11:17:19 GMT 2024