Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Extremely bad performance on some sources
Extremely bad performance on some sources [message #873411] Fri, 18 May 2012 07:18 Go to next message
Nobody Mising name is currently offline Nobody Mising nameFriend
I have several source files in the project with extremely bad performance when editing. For example when I edit code (without saving it) and try to use Open Declaration I have to wait about 45 seconds to jump to the declaration. Same for find references/call hierarchy initiated after editing this source file. But it seems that content assist works good, almost no delays even for new introduced variables while editing.

Even if I rebuild the index for the whole project (it takes about 8 minutes), and then open this source in the editor I have to wait about 30 seconds for semantic highlight to appear and both cores of CPU are fully used. And if I try to open declaration for the include it takes about 20 seconds.

The source is about 2k lines in cpp and there are includes from STL and some other project headers. There are no heavy templates or big macro expansions, just regular C++ code with classes.

What can I do about this? Is it possible to fix this somehow?

[Updated on: Fri, 18 May 2012 07:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Extremely bad performance on some sources [message #876009 is a reply to message #873411] Wed, 23 May 2012 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yevgeny Shifrin is currently offline Yevgeny ShifrinFriend
Hi,

Eclipse CDT has index cache. Meaning that the first time it takes long time till navigation occurs. But next time you do this action it should be much quicker. Do you observe this behavior?

Thanks,
Yevgeny
Re: Extremely bad performance on some sources [message #876243 is a reply to message #876009] Thu, 24 May 2012 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nobody Mising name is currently offline Nobody Mising nameFriend
Yevgeny Shifrin wrote on Wed, 23 May 2012 14:20
Do you observe this behavior?

Not sure about exactly this behavior. Every time I edit something I have to wait very long time for navigation features to work. Also when I switch to another source and return to this one I also have to wait.

But if I open this source, wait for semantic highlight and completion of first navigation inside the source then navigation inside this source without editing works rather fast.
Re: Extremely bad performance on some sources [message #878752 is a reply to message #876243] Tue, 29 May 2012 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW: Does it stuck eclipse on these specific files or it just takes long time till navigation starts to work?
Re: Extremely bad performance on some sources [message #879506 is a reply to message #878752] Thu, 31 May 2012 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey Eremchenko is currently offline Andrey EremchenkoFriend
It doesn't stuck Eclipse GUI if I don't use semantic aware features like performing rename or structural selection. Navigation also doesn't stuck GUI, but takes a long time to work, I can even enter several lines of code and then it jumps to the definition.

By the way I have tried CDT 8.1 RC1 and it works a lot better with these files. But it has some other problems with indexing includes.
Re: Extremely bad performance on some sources [message #880049 is a reply to message #879506] Fri, 01 June 2012 10:37 Go to previous message
Hi,

It would be great if you could open a bug for the regression with indexing includes for Juno CDT.

Thanks,
Yevgeny
Previous Topic:Can C, python, fortran, java languages be highlighted in one document of Eclipse?
Next Topic:Relative include paths are still not supported
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:34:25 GMT 2024