Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Using CDT to debug non-eclipse binary
Using CDT to debug non-eclipse binary [message #871469] Mon, 14 May 2012 00:56 Go to next message
Spundun Bhatt is currently offline Spundun BhattFriend
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm not sure what keywords to search for so I'm asking here.

I'd like to use eclipse to debug a software that was compiled outside of eclipse environment. It's a big project that uses autoconf/pthread/google perf tools/fortran math libraries/openmpi and other tools.

I just want to use CDT as a gui frontend to gdb so that I can see sourcecode, examine variables and navigate stack.

Is this possible?

Thanks a lot.
Spundun

ps: The code I'm referring to is google code m-a-d-n-e-s-s project
Re: Using CDT to debug non-eclipse binary [message #871479 is a reply to message #871469] Mon, 14 May 2012 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To Clarify, I'd like to use eclipse cdt like I would use DDD. without having to import the whole source tree as an eclipse project.
Re: Using CDT to debug non-eclipse binary [message #871582 is a reply to message #871479] Mon, 14 May 2012 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#Can_I_debug_a_process_that_I_didn.27t_develop_in_Eclipse.3F

Marc
Re: Using CDT to debug non-eclipse binary [message #871645 is a reply to message #871582] Mon, 14 May 2012 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, Thank you very much! I should have checked if there was a CDT faq. Smile
Re: Using CDT to debug non-eclipse binary [message #871734 is a reply to message #871582] Mon, 14 May 2012 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Marc,

you forgot this Bug?

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=344470

Under Windows it does not work Sad

regards,
klaus

Re: Using CDT to debug non-eclipse binary [message #871743 is a reply to message #871734] Mon, 14 May 2012 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
Sigh... Nobody has fixed that yet for Windows.
My machine is Linux so I can't help much with it.

This is a nice feature that it would be good to have for Windows.
I suggest you mention this to cdt-dev@ eclipse dot org.
Maybe a committer with a Windows machine can have a look.

Marc
Re: Using CDT to debug non-eclipse binary [message #872312 is a reply to message #871743] Tue, 15 May 2012 21:54 Go to previous message
Thanks for the pointers.

I've managed to open the binary using eclipse cdt and can put breakpoints in main. But I can't figure out how to look up other functions and line numbers in other files. All I can do is text search the current file or the file that I've already stepped into. When I try C/C++ search it returns nothing for my queries. Even searching for the word "main" doesn't work. Is there a way to look up functions linked into the binary?
Previous Topic:SDLNet_CheckSockets segmentation fault
Next Topic:can I make like this(editor)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:10:27 GMT 2024