Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse freezing when loading
Eclipse freezing when loading [message #870885] Thu, 10 May 2012 07:24 Go to next message
Luís de Sousa is currently offline Luís de SousaFriend
Dear all,

I have been working with Eclipse on an Ubuntu system for the past 8 months without issue. Yesterday, totally out of the blue, Eclipse froze when loading and since then I haven't been able to use any more. The same thing happens every time I try to run it: the splash screens shows up, it displays the progress bar and the "Loading Workbench" message and just stuck there.

Running Eclipse from the command line I get this:

$ /usr/share/eclipse/eclipse
LogFilter.isLoggable threw a non-fatal unchecked exception as follows:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.Log.isLoggable(Log.java:101)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.log.internal.ExtendedLogReaderServiceFactory.safeIsLoggable(ExtendedLogReaderServiceFactory.java:57)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.log.internal.ExtendedLogReaderServiceFactory.logPrivileged(ExtendedLogReaderServiceFactory.java:158)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.log.internal.ExtendedLogReaderServiceFactory.log(ExtendedLogReaderServiceFactory.java:146)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.log.internal.ExtendedLogServiceFactory.log(ExtendedLogServiceFactory.java:65)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.log.internal.ExtendedLogServiceImpl.log(ExtendedLogServiceImpl.java:87)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.log.internal.LoggerImpl.log(LoggerImpl.java:54)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.Log.log(Log.java:60)
	at org.tigris.subversion.clientadapter.javahl.Activator.isAvailable(Activator.java:92)
	at org.tigris.subversion.clientadapter.Activator.getAnyClientAdapter(Activator.java:81)
	at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.SVNClientManager.getAdapter(SVNClientManager.java:145)
	at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.SVNClientManager.getSVNClient(SVNClientManager.java:92)
	at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.SVNProviderPlugin.getSVNClient(SVNProviderPlugin.java:425)
	at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.status.NonRecursiveStatusUpdateStrategy.statusesToUpdate(NonRecursiveStatusUpdateStrategy.java:53)
	at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.status.StatusCacheManager.refreshStatus(StatusCacheManager.java:273)
	at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.resourcesListeners.FileModificationManager.refreshStatus(FileModificationManager.java:179)
	at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core.resourcesListeners.FileModificationManager.resourceChanged(FileModificationManager.java:128)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.NotificationManager$1.run(NotificationManager.java:291)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.NotificationManager.notify(NotificationManager.java:285)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.NotificationManager.broadcastChanges(NotificationManager.java:149)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.broadcastPostChange(Workspace.java:395)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Workspace.endOperation(Workspace.java:1530)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:45)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

What is going on here? Can I do something else to trace the problem?

Thank you.
Re: Eclipse freezing when loading [message #871140 is a reply to message #870885] Fri, 11 May 2012 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear all, I can't really work without Eclipse, I do all programming and writing on it. Please help me, any information or suggestion is welcome.

Thank you.
Re: Eclipse freezing when loading [message #871181 is a reply to message #871140] Fri, 11 May 2012 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's the last entry in .log file:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 2 10035 2012-05-11 08:05:03.376
!MESSAGE The workspace exited with unsaved changes in the previous session; refreshing workspace to recover changes.

!ENTRY org.tigris.subversion.clientadapter.javahl 1 0 2012-05-11 08:05:07.073
!MESSAGE Failed to load JavaHL Library.
These are the errors that were encountered:
no libsvnjavahl-1 in java.library.path
no svnjavahl-1 in java.library.path
no svnjavahl in java.library.path
java.library.path = /usr/lib/jni
!SESSION 2012-05-11 11:58:26.559 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=I20110613-1736
java.version=1.6.0_26
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product
Command-line arguments:  -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.product

Could this be related to the missing svn libraries?

Thank you
Re: Eclipse freezing when loading [message #871211 is a reply to message #871181] Fri, 11 May 2012 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found an old reference to a similar problem at this address. I did as it suggests and removed the workspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.root\.indexes but the problem remains.

As I understand this has all to do with the message on the exit with unsaved changes. Is there any procedure to deal with it?

Thank you.
Re: Eclipse freezing when loading [message #872498 is a reply to message #871211] Wed, 16 May 2012 08:28 Go to previous message
Today I found a recipe that got Eclipse starting up again:

Quote:

cd .metadata/.plugins
mv org.eclipse.core.resources org.eclipse.core.resources.bak
Start eclipse. (It should show an error message or an empty workspace because no project is found.)
Close all open editors tabs.
Exit eclipse.
rm -rf org.eclipse.core.resources (Delete the newly created directory.)
mv org.eclipse.core.resources.bak/ org.eclipse.core.resources (Restore the original directory.)
Start eclipse and start working.

According to the author this is just a partial solution, individual projects in the workspace maybe have been damaged and may have to be removed later on. We'll see.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Previous Topic:Need help with images
Next Topic:Problems with navigatorContent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:36:21 GMT 2024