Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Objectteams » Object Teams and Android
Object Teams and Android [message #870089] Sun, 06 May 2012 10:35 Go to next message
Pedro Martins is currently offline Pedro MartinsFriend
Hello gentleman. I've been familiar with OJ/T for a while now and although I am by no means an expert I must say I really enjoy using OJ/T, specially when implementing patterns.
Recently, in my Android project, I've come across with some nifty patterns (visitor for instance) that could really benefit from OT/J. However I can't find information on how to implement OT/J in Android and I am not sure if this feature exists for now.

Is there any adaption for Android to use OT/J? If yes where can I find it? If no, will such an adaption ever exist?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Object Teams and Android [message #870099 is a reply to message #870089] Sun, 06 May 2012 13:01 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Hi Pedro,

I'm not yet aware of anybody using OT/J on Android, and it won't work directly out of the box ATM, but making it work should only involve two basic steps:
(1) trigger bytecode weaving ahead of time (instead of at load-time)
(2) link with the minimal OT/J runtime library

Currently, dumping transformed bytecodes to disk is only used for debugging purposes: running any OT/J application with -Dot.dump=true writes transformed bytecodes into a directory "jplis_dump".
Using this for creating your APK from woven bytecodes should be pretty easy, actually. Things will get slightly more involved, when you want to weave into 3rd party jars, and thus have to repackage those.

As to the runtime library, you'll find a small "otre_min.jar" inside the plugin org.eclipse.objectteams.otdt, which should actually suffice for this purpose (no external dependencies!).

Why don't you open an enhancement request in bugzilla, where we can work out, how the .class transformation can be integrated in an Android build.
I think this would be pretty cool to have!

best,
Stephan

Previous Topic:Maven support for OT/J updated
Next Topic:Twin releases with support for Java 7
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:00:06 GMT 2024