Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » getting hold of Orion services from a plugin
getting hold of Orion services from a plugin [message #870076] Sun, 06 May 2012 07:54 Go to next message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
How does a plugin get hold of Orion services?

I am trying to write a plugin that has a remote counterpart, and this plugin needs to pass to the back-end information about the current project (because the back-end will deal with state for multiple users/projects and needs to know which project it is dealing with).

Is that even possible/intended in the current architecture?

Thanks,

Rafael
Re: getting hold of Orion services from a plugin [message #870260 is a reply to message #870076] Mon, 07 May 2012 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Arthorne is currently offline John ArthorneFriend
Generally, no. Orion services live in the main page, and each plugin lives within an iframe. The plugin can't access services from the main page. If your plugin needs information, then the main Orion page needs to pass it over to you when it calls one of your declared services. Depending on what service you are implementing in your plugin you might be able to get some of that information though.

You would need some stable point of reference to implement validation on another server so I think this is an interesting case we should support. Is it the file service you are implementing? Maybe there is something we can add to that, such as the origin server base URL. The location parameter uniquely identifies each resource within a given server, but there could be multiple Orion servers in the wild with the same project id.
Re: getting hold of Orion services from a plugin [message #870275 is a reply to message #870260] Mon, 07 May 2012 14:38 Go to previous message
Rafael Chaves is currently offline Rafael ChavesFriend
Quote:
Generally, no. Orion services live in the main page, and each plugin lives within an iframe. The plugin can't access services from the main page. If your plugin needs information, then the main Orion page needs to pass it over to you when it calls one of your declared services.

Darn, thought it was feasible from reading the "plugin with extension point" thread from orion-dev.

Quote:
You would need some stable point of reference to implement validation on another server so I think this is an interesting case we should support. Is it the file service you are implementing? Maybe there is something we can add to that, such as the origin server base URL.

I was planning to implement both a validation service and a file service (see other thread I started). The server base URL for both of them would be helpful. But I suspect adding those things as function parameters won't be enough, as other needs for context information will arise (if not from my use case, from others').

Thanks for your help, John.

Rafael
Previous Topic:Syntax Highlighting Problems
Next Topic:working around lack of project-wide validation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 07:22:33 GMT 2024