Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » Where to start with GMF(Looking for something to explain the GMF project and where to start)
Where to start with GMF [message #869951] Sat, 05 May 2012 04:13 Go to next message
Ken Keefe is currently offline Ken KeefeFriend
I'm trying to figure out where to get started creating graphical editors in Eclipse RCP applications. I'm pretty comfortable with RCP. I'm getting comfortable with EMF. Now, I am unsure what to learn about next in order to create graphical editors in my applications. I'm pretty sure that I want to be using GMF, but I am confused about what Graphiti is. What is Zest? What is Draw2D? What is GEF? Is there some article or documentation that gives an overview of these different projects and where they fit in GMF?

Re: Where to start with GMF [message #870174 is a reply to message #869951] Mon, 07 May 2012 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph Gerbig is currently offline Ralph GerbigFriend
Hi,

you should start with this tutorial: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Graphical_Modeling_Framework/Tutorial/Part_1 or this book http://www.eclipse.org/resources/resource.php?id=493

Ralph
Re: Where to start with GMF [message #878236 is a reply to message #869951] Mon, 28 May 2012 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alvaro Osvaldo is currently offline Alvaro OsvaldoFriend
Ken, i'm starting too, and this hasn't simple for me. Shocked
If i'm understood,Graphiti is a implementation that use the Graphical Modeling Framework to help you to create a project that use Graphical Editing Framework for the end-user.

I'm recommend the chapter 3 (Introduction to GEF
) to page 93 from this e-book (publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg246302.html).
In my opinion this is a old book so be caution with it.
Re: Where to start with GMF [message #879530 is a reply to message #878236] Thu, 31 May 2012 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph Gerbig is currently offline Ralph GerbigFriend
Hi,

Quote:
If i'm understood,Graphiti is a implementation that use the Graphical Modeling Framework to help you to create a project that use Graphical Editing Framework for the end-user.

both GMF and Graphiti base on the Graphical Editing Framework and aim to make the creation of editors for EMF based models convenient. To reach this GMF uses an approach where you can model the editor you want to create without knowing about the technical programing details of the underlying framework. At least it is this way as long as you stick to what GMF offers out of the box. Graphiti does the same by offering a user-friendly API ontop of GEF. However, with this approach you still need to program Java code even for very simple editors.

Ralph
Re: Where to start with GMF [message #884031 is a reply to message #879530] Sat, 09 June 2012 23:52 Go to previous message
Alvaro Osvaldo is currently offline Alvaro OsvaldoFriend
Thanks. Very Happy
Previous Topic:Initialize programmatically created nodes
Next Topic:Download of ziped p2 repositories?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:05:04 GMT 2024