Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » 3.5.0.M04 Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file
3.5.0.M04 Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file [message #869913] Fri, 04 May 2012 19:05 Go to next message
Rich Mayfield is currently offline Rich MayfieldFriend
I'm trying to deploy a very simple (empty even) plan in the pickup directory however this fails every time with the error "Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file ...".

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here? This is with the Jetty distribution and other plans appear to be fine.

This is on Mac OS X 10.7.3 with Java 1.6.0_31.

The plan is quite simply:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<plan name="server.plan" version="1.0.0" scoped="false" atomic="true"
xmlns="http: //www.eclipse.org/virgo/schema/plan"
xmlns:xsi="http: //www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="
http: //www.eclipse.org/virgo/schema/plan
http: //www.eclipse.org/virgo/schema/plan/eclipse-virgo-plan.xsd">

</plan>

Yields the error:

[2012-05-04 11:55:47.667] fs-watcher <HD0002E> Hot deploy failed for file '.server-1.0.0.plan.swp'. org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException: Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file '/Users/me/Desktop/virgo-jetty-server-3.5.0.M04/pickup/.server-1.0.0.plan.swp': uri='file:/Users/me/Desktop/virgo-jetty-server-3.5.0.M04/pickup/.server-1.0.0.plan.swp': uri='file:/Users/me/Desktop/virgo-jetty-server-3.5.0.M04/pickup/.server-1.0.0.plan.swp'
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:167)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.install(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:139)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.deploy(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:252)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.deploy(HotDeployerFileSystemListener.java:163)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.onChange(HotDeployerFileSystemListener.java:67)
at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemChecker.notifyListeners(FileSystemChecker.java:245)
at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemChecker.check(FileSystemChecker.java:166)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.hot.WatchTask.run(WatchTask.java:48)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
Caused by: org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException: Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file '/Users/me/Desktop/virgo-jetty-server-3.5.0.M04/pickup/.server-1.0.0.plan.swp': uri='file:/Users/me/Desktop/virgo-jetty-server-3.5.0.M04/pickup/.server-1.0.0.plan.swp'
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.determineIdentity(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:209)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:159)
... 8 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.DeploymentException: Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file '/Users/me/Desktop/virgo-jetty-server-3.5.0.M04/pickup/.server-1.0.0.plan.swp'
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.determineIdentity(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:348)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.determineIdentity(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:207)
... 9 common frames omitted
Re: 3.5.0.M04 Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file [message #871163 is a reply to message #869913] Fri, 11 May 2012 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

Can you please provide a listing of the pickup folder?

Do you have just the plan there or there are more files? What's the name of the plan file?
Re: 3.5.0.M04 Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file [message #871171 is a reply to message #871163] Fri, 11 May 2012 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thorsten Schlathölter is currently offline Thorsten SchlathölterFriend
If you look into the Exception you can see that the Server is complaining about a swap file ".server-1.0.0.plan.swp". If this is still an issue, delete the temporary file and try again.

Regards,
Thorsten
Re: 3.5.0.M04 Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file [message #871243 is a reply to message #869913] Fri, 11 May 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rich Mayfield is currently offline Rich MayfieldFriend
Thanks for the replies. I was able to get to the bottom of the problem(s), which I'll summarize.

Note that the ".swp" file was actually created by vi when I edited the plan. In any event, this temporary file and it's name wasn't the problem.

I got this error when:

1) The bundle plan included an artifact with what is apparently an invalid version. For example, "1.0.0.2", which is fine for a Maven artifact versions but not for OSGi artifact versions.

2) The bundle plan was empty - i.e. there were no artifacts whatsoever in the plan. After experiencing "1)" I was just trying to see what it was about my plan, which had 100 artifacts referenced, was incorrect. It baffled me that an empty plan wasn't acceptable.

The error message provided by Virgo, however, is not helpful. In both of the above cases it says that it cannot identify the artifact identity of the plan.

What would be much more useful is if the error cited the artifact within the plan that was causing the problem.
Re: 3.5.0.M04 Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file [message #1075523 is a reply to message #871243] Mon, 29 July 2013 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Filip Spiridonov is currently offline Filip SpiridonovFriend
I had a similar error. In my case, the cause was:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Removing it solved the problem.

P.S. An example with <?xml> tag was copied from the official documentation (3.5.0.RELEASE). I guess it should be fixed also.
Re: 3.5.0.M04 Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file [message #1274489 is a reply to message #1075523] Fri, 21 March 2014 14:47 Go to previous message
Leonid Ilyevsky is currently offline Leonid IlyevskyFriend
The problem is still there with Virgo 3.6.2. I just installed it and tried the super-simple example. I have a very simple test bundle that works fine when deployed as a bundle separately. Now I tried to include it in the plan, see attached file.

As you can see, I don't have there any problematic things mentioned by other users, like bad artifact version number or "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>" first line (I actually tried it with that line also).
So what is wrong with this plan file? Below is the trace of the error.

[2014-03-21 10:29:14.253] fs-watcher <HD0003E> Hot re-deploy failed for file 'PlanTest.xml'. org.eclipse.virgo.nano.deployer.api.core.DeploymentException: Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file '/home/lilyevsky/tools/virgo-kernel-3.6.2.RELEASE/pickup/PlanTest.xml': uri='file:/home/lilyevsky/tools/virgo-kernel-3.6.2.RELEASE/pickup/PlanTest.xml': uri='file:/home/lilyevsky/tools/virgo-kernel-3.6.2.RELEASE/pickup/PlanTest.xml'
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:168)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.install(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:140)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.deploy(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:253)
at org.eclipse.virgo.nano.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.deploy(HotDeployerFileSystemListener.java:225)
at org.eclipse.virgo.nano.deployer.hot.HotDeploymentFileSystemListener.onChange(HotDeployerFileSystemListener.java:82)
at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemChecker.notifyListeners(FileSystemChecker.java:380)
at org.eclipse.virgo.util.io.FileSystemChecker.check(FileSystemChecker.java:289)
at org.eclipse.virgo.nano.deployer.hot.WatchTask.run(WatchTask.java:48)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)
Caused by: org.eclipse.virgo.nano.deployer.api.core.DeploymentException: Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file '/home/lilyevsky/tools/virgo-kernel-3.6.2.RELEASE/pickup/PlanTest.xml': uri='file:/home/lilyevsky/tools/virgo-kernel-3.6.2.RELEASE/pickup/PlanTest.xml'
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.determineIdentity(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:210)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.doInstall(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:160)
... 8 common frames omitted
Caused by: org.eclipse.virgo.nano.deployer.api.core.DeploymentException: Cannot determine the artifact identity of the file '/home/lilyevsky/tools/virgo-kernel-3.6.2.RELEASE/pickup/PlanTest.xml'
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.determineIdentity(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:347)
at org.eclipse.virgo.kernel.deployer.core.internal.PipelinedApplicationDeployer.determineIdentity(PipelinedApplicationDeployer.java:208)
... 9 common frames omitted
  • Attachment: PlanTest.xml
    (Size: 0.39KB, Downloaded 295 times)
Previous Topic:Websocket on Virgo Tomcat Server
Next Topic:Get the status of application deployment..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:20:26 GMT 2024