Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat?
Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #869641] Thu, 03 May 2012 19:02 Go to next message
Jacob Scott is currently offline Jacob ScottFriend
Virgo Tomcat Server 3.0.3 ships with Tomcat 7.0.26, while Tomcat recently released version 7.0.27. Is it possible for me to "drop in" a newer version of Tomcat 7.0 into my Virgo Tomcat Server install, or is there coupling between Virgo and Tomcat which would prevent doing this (or make it a bad idea)?

If it is possible, is the process documented?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Thu, 03 May 2012 19:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #869644 is a reply to message #869641] Thu, 03 May 2012 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Theoretically you can.
In practice you should know that Tomcat does not ships OSGi metadata within the binaries.
So you should provide that by yourself.
As we have fragments attached to the catalina bundle, when you create the OSGi metadata you should keep the bundle symbolic names same as ours.
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #869659 is a reply to message #869644] Thu, 03 May 2012 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jacob Scott is currently offline Jacob ScottFriend
Thanks for the explanation.

Is the "OSGification" of Tomcat done manually, or are there scripts? If there are scripts, are they publicly available? Ideally I would use the same process that Virgo devs do (to prevent/avoid bugs, etc).
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #936431 is a reply to message #869641] Mon, 08 October 2012 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Johnston is currently offline Matthew JohnstonFriend
Sorry to dig up a slightly old thread.
I am evaluating Virgo Tomcat at the moment and I was wondering if someone is able to answer Jacobs question about the process the Virgo devs take to wrap Tomcat in OSGi bundles.
The reason I am asking this question is risk management. If there ever is a problem with the version of Tomcat Virgo ships with I would like to be able to upgrade Tomcat independently, following the same steps the Virgo developers take.
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #940552 is a reply to message #936431] Thu, 11 October 2012 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

We are using Eclipse Orbit project for our OSGIfication of the Apache Tomcat binaries - http://eclipse.org/orbit/.
You can use also Bundlor for this - http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/bundlor-documentation-1.1.1.RELEASE/docs/user-guide/htmlsingle/user-guide.html
However it is not just OSGIfication of the binaries. In Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat we have an internal integration with Apache Tomcat. Before moving to a new version of Apache Tomcat we execute a lot of tests in order to verify that everything is working property in OSGi environment.

Regards
Violeta
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1091874 is a reply to message #940552] Thu, 22 August 2013 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Fetyko is currently offline Jan FetykoFriend
Violeta,

could you share more information on how tomcat is OSGi-fied ?
Are there perhaps BND files that can be used for this ?
What would be the easiest path for one to upgrade Tomcat ?
I'm OK with cloning virgo git repos if needed and building it if needed.

Thank you.

Jan
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1094077 is a reply to message #1091874] Sun, 25 August 2013 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darryl Miles is currently offline Darryl MilesFriend
Is there an eclipse.org run Continuous Integration system to produce ORBIT artifacts automatically on a new release of the base open source project.

So every release of the upstream project gets an ORBIT release ?
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1095590 is a reply to message #1091874] Tue, 27 August 2013 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Fetyko wrote on Thu, 22 August 2013 07:15
Violeta,

could you share more information on how tomcat is OSGi-fied ?
Are there perhaps BND files that can be used for this ?
What would be the easiest path for one to upgrade Tomcat ?
I'm OK with cloning virgo git repos if needed and building it if needed.

Thank you.

Jan

We are using bundlor. You can easily create your own template.mf files.

As I said before:
Quote:
However it is not just OSGIfication of the binaries. In Virgo Server for Apache Tomcat we have an internal integration with Apache Tomcat. Before moving to a new version of Apache Tomcat we execute a lot of tests in order to verify that everything is working property in OSGi environment.

The easiest path to upgrade Tomcat is to ask Gemini Web project to provide new version.
I'm expecting new Gemini Web release once Apache Tomcat 7 with JSR-356 implementation is released.
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1095593 is a reply to message #1094077] Tue, 27 August 2013 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darryl Miles wrote on Sun, 25 August 2013 07:31
Is there an eclipse.org run Continuous Integration system to produce ORBIT artifacts automatically on a new release of the base open source project.

So every release of the upstream project gets an ORBIT release ?

There is a strict policy for working with third party dependencies. [1]

Regards
Violeta

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse_Policy_and_Procedure_for_3rd_Party_Dependencies_Final.pdf
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1095648 is a reply to message #1095593] Tue, 27 August 2013 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darryl Miles is currently offline Darryl MilesFriend
Thanks for the document reference.

However it is not completely clear what point is being made by citing it.

The 3rd party open-source project has already been approved for tracking with ORBIT.
So presumably every release of that 3rd party project could have an ORBIT release without any significant red-tape.

Which then leads into the use of CI and automated systems to provide that. Now users who want newer versions of ORBIT artifacts do not need to spend their time and effort on independently building it themselves; only for that effort to be duplicated when eclipse.org makes an official release, they can instead spend that time improving and contributing the Eclipse product that relies on it.

I understand right now that a Virgo release is made for a specific version of a tomcat, instead of making an installer that will offer, go and download and combine and then unit test the Virgo parts with the Tomcat parts by using any compatible ORBIT tomcat version.
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1095725 is a reply to message #1095648] Tue, 27 August 2013 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darryl Miles wrote on Tue, 27 August 2013 13:39

The 3rd party open-source project has already been approved for tracking with ORBIT.
So presumably every release of that 3rd party project could have an ORBIT release without any significant red-tape.

Nope
If we want to use Apache Tomcat version 7.0.35 for example we need to follow the process.
If we want to use Apache Tomcat version 7.0.42 again we need to follow the process.
etc.

I will again quote myself

Quote:

Several time we needed to adjust our implementation to the newer version of Apache Tomcat.
One example [1]

Regards
Violeta

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=391703

[Updated on: Tue, 27 August 2013 12:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1115219 is a reply to message #1095725] Mon, 23 September 2013 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eduardo Frazão is currently offline Eduardo FrazãoFriend
Hi Violeta!

Will Gemini Web upgrade tomcat only when JSR 356 was implemented?

There some important bugfixes on Websockets made before 7.0.35

https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=55267
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=55524

(this last is on trunk yet)
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1115491 is a reply to message #1115219] Tue, 24 September 2013 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I've just started a new mail thread for 7.0.44 voting. [1]
I expect to have a result this week.
So if it passes the vote we can update the Apache Tomcat in the Gemini Web.

Regards
Violeta

[1] http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-dev&m=137996992231626&w=2
Re: Is it possible to independently upgrade the version of Tomcat used by Virgo Tomcat? [message #1115646 is a reply to message #1115491] Tue, 24 September 2013 11:31 Go to previous message
Eduardo Frazão is currently offline Eduardo FrazãoFriend
Thanks by your effort Violeta.
Good news Smile!
Previous Topic:Using javamail for SMPTS on virgo fails on typo
Next Topic:Virgo Project wil be archived?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:46:54 GMT 2024