Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » Debugger options(inspect, watch, etc.)
Debugger options [message #866332] Mon, 30 April 2012 21:04 Go to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend
Am I correct that the debugger does not yet support actions such as Inspect and Watch? Also, no support yet for auto-inspect by hovering over a variable name, correct?

I didn't really see anything about debug support on the planning pages. Curious as to what the timing might be for some of these features....thoughts from the development team?

--Dan
Re: Debugger options [message #867777 is a reply to message #866332] Tue, 01 May 2012 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justin Spadea is currently offline Justin SpadeaFriend
Hi Dan,

You are correct that those features are not yet supported. Here's a link to the debug page that shows what is and is not yet completed: http://wiki.eclipse.org/EDT:Debug (I just updated it to be more obvious what is and is not done).

Right now the push is to solidify the core components: add remaining language changes (these can be breaking, so the sooner the better!), improve extensibility, and introduce eglars.

I can't say when debug will see more attention, but I personally can't wait to add hover value support (I didn't realize how much I used it until it was gone). If there's particular enhancements people are looking forward to, I encourage you to add comments to the bugzillas so that we know what's most sought after when prioritizing.

-Justin
Re: Debugger options [message #868378 is a reply to message #867777] Tue, 01 May 2012 21:14 Go to previous message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend

Thanks for the information. "Hover value" support is number 1 on my list. It's one of the few remaining awkward moments in my "Calling RPG from EDT" video ... showing the seamless tier-to-tier debugging but then having to dance around the lack of actual debug features. Hover to see value is one of those "see, it's easy!" things that I like to be able to demonstrate.

--Dan
Previous Topic:Error Using JSON REST Response
Next Topic:IBM i program call limitations maximum of 35 parameters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:12:16 GMT 2024