Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Everything Remote but IDE???
Everything Remote but IDE??? [message #857277] Thu, 26 April 2012 12:10 Go to next message
k b is currently offline k bFriend
I currently have Ubuntu server 11.10 up and running with a standard LAMP stack. My workstation is windows vista. The ubuntu server does not have a gui, command line only. That's fine and I have no desire to install X on the server.

The consequence of this is that I have my IDE on my workstation yet want to keep everything else on the server.

Any help configuring Eclipse to do everything on the Ubuntu side? In particular I want to make sure I can debug the code on the server-side from my Vista box.

I've done a tad of develop now with the IDE where I develop locally and then push the code over to the Ubuntu box and compile it there. This is no longer feasible as I need to move from some sample code to code I can actually debug in real time.

As much detail as possible would be appreciated since I am somewhat of a newbie!

Thanks in advance!
Re: Everything Remote but IDE??? [message #857371 is a reply to message #857277] Thu, 26 April 2012 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
You could do remote debugging of a java application on your linux box. Look at http://blog.ankursharma.org/2010/05/remote-debugging-eclipse.html
Re: Everything Remote but IDE??? [message #857393 is a reply to message #857371] Thu, 26 April 2012 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I've tried to start an -Xdebug session on the Ubuntu box. It works and creates a listening socket. I try to make the connection from my Windows Eclipse IDE to my Ubuntu box but it doesn't work and I get a connection VM error. I also think there is an issue where Eclipse is looking at the local jars instead of the remote ones.

I looking for the easiest solution to this, as per my orig post.
Re: Everything Remote but IDE??? [message #857587 is a reply to message #857393] Thu, 26 April 2012 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

On 4/26/2012 9:53 AM, k b wrote:
> Well, I've tried to start an -Xdebug session on the Ubuntu box. It works
> and creates a listening socket. I try to make the connection from my
> Windows Eclipse IDE to my Ubuntu box but it doesn't work and I get a
> connection VM error. I also think there is an issue where Eclipse is
> looking at the local jars instead of the remote ones.
> I looking for the easiest solution to this, as per my orig post.

Eclipse can only look to the local jars for sources, but you should
definitely check the firewall settings on your Ubuntu machine.

--
---
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP Source Editing and JSDT
IBM Rational

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Everything Remote but IDE??? [message #857638 is a reply to message #857587] Thu, 26 April 2012 18:31 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Thu, 26 April 2012 13:23
Eclipse can only look to the local jars for sources, but you should
definitely check the firewall settings on your Ubuntu machine.

Is that's the case might as well develop all locally and sftp it to the server...

Will check the fw.

Thanks!
Previous Topic:animation example problem
Next Topic:Exception when building call hierarchy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:11:29 GMT 2024