Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » EGL Development Tools » ExtJS(Soon, someday, never?)
ExtJS [message #855395] Tue, 24 April 2012 19:39 Go to next message
Dan Darnell is currently offline Dan DarnellFriend

I was thrilled when I saw mobile support using ExtJS listed as a 0.8.0 deliverable but I notice that it dropped off the list at some point.

Is ExtJS support (mobile or otherwise) something that we are likely to see at some point?

--Dan
Re: ExtJS [message #855396 is a reply to message #855395] Tue, 24 April 2012 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theresa Ramsey is currently offline Theresa RamseyFriend
Hi Dan,
from the latest status blog, mobile is back on the list for 0.8.1. More info to come soon!
Re: ExtJS [message #855447 is a reply to message #855396] Tue, 24 April 2012 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Theresa,

Saw that. Didn't know if that was ExtJS or something else. I'm a big fan of ExtJS and would hate to see much effort put into integration with the horrible Dojo mobile widgets.

--Dan
Re: ExtJS [message #856528 is a reply to message #855447] Wed, 25 April 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dan,
We're considering options right now.
Can you tell us more about what you like and don't like about ExtJS and Dojo mobile?
Thanks!
Theresa
Re: ExtJS [message #856950 is a reply to message #856528] Thu, 26 April 2012 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

My primary ExtJS experience comes from working with Ext GWT. I realize that this is not a very robust answer but, in short, I have always loved the way ExtJS widgets look and feel, the way they perform, and their extensive capabilities. By comparison, Dojo widgets are extremely ugly and lacking in feature/function. All one has to do is spend about 15 minutes on the ExtJS and Dojo project sites comparing look & feel and capabilities of the respective API's to go, "Oh crap, this ExtJS stuff rocks!"

The downside of ExtJS has always been the licensing.

--Dan

Re: ExtJS [message #857625 is a reply to message #856950] Thu, 26 April 2012 18:15 Go to previous message
Thanks for your input Dan.

In Dojo 1.6 (EDT 0.8.0 uses Dojo 1.7.2), the Claro theme was added which has better (and more consistent) look and feel than the previous themes. Claro is the default theme now, and can be tweaked more easily than previous themes too (to customize for your own apps). So if you haven't given Dojo a look in a while, it might be worth another peek. There have been a lot of performance improvements too.

Since we mentioned mobile, Dojo mobile includes the styles for iOS, Android and Blackberry so that the apps match a platform's native look and feel without having to recode/port the app.

Dojo is an open source (vs proprietary) framework, which makes it attractive. Not saying ExtJS doesn't have some nice stuff too Smile, I'm just more familiar with Dojo.

We're still in the investigation stage for mobile in EDT.

Comments from others welcomed!
Previous Topic:IBM i program call from RUI
Next Topic:New blog - Accessing your database with JNDI
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:40:31 GMT 2024