Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Egit Remove Source Code Directory(Setting up Existing Directory with git removed the entire source code directory)
Egit Remove Source Code Directory [message #855241] Tue, 24 April 2012 16:29 Go to next message
Chip Coades is currently offline Chip CoadesFriend
Indigo 2 with PDT, JavaScript, all up-to-date. Win XP.

I have a PHP project under C:\...\www\stuff\... It can't be moved as it disappears from the localhost website.

I added it to git with Team and saw the recommendation to not use a local .git repository, so I let Eclipse put stuff in my %home% (like ~) directory.

After everything is set up, the entire source code directory is missing! This caused GREAT CONSTERNATION! Needless to say, alcohol was required.

A source code control system should NOT REMOVE THE SOURCE CODE!

Get it?

It turned out that Eclipse/git had moved everything to a plain directory under my home directory. I've managed to keep on going by creating a Windows junction (reparse point, symbolic-link-to-directory) to fake the location of the source code.

Meanwhile, after recovery, I keep on working. But everytime I put something into git, now, I need a few shots for courage, beforehand.
Re: Egit Remove Source Code Directory [message #855386 is a reply to message #855241] Tue, 24 April 2012 19:32 Go to previous message
Manuel Doninger is currently offline Manuel DoningerFriend
As you pointed out, putting repositories in the Home directory is a recommendation, not mandatory. So you could move your repository to the path, where you need it, without using junctions.
Previous Topic:what is the 'hierarchical branch layout' for?
Next Topic:unable to create remote repo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 03:33:09 GMT 2024