Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » How to compensate for slow provisioning server
How to compensate for slow provisioning server [message #853924] Mon, 23 April 2012 13:28 Go to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-SchwartzFriend
Hello everybody.

In my Virgo kernel based application, I connect to a remote Virgo server for the provisioning of artefacts. The app is kicked off by a plan which is installed in the pickup directory and its contained artefacts get downloaded if necessary and started.

However, when I run the app on an offshore PC that has a very slow connection to the remote Virgo server, the kernel detects the remote server AFTER the plan in the pickup directory has been analysed and an attempt made to download its contents from the remote server, and this causes things to fall over.

This is a little baffling. Surely if the kernel is configured to use an external repo, all artefacts startup should be deferred till the remote repository is available or, in the error scenario, cannot be found.

Am I misconfiguring anything? Is there a way to delay the installation of the plan file in the pickup directory until the remote server has been detected?

Finally, as I side issue, is it possible for me to listen to changes to the downloaded remote repository index?

TIA,
B.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 April 2012 10:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to compensate for slow provisioning server [message #854990 is a reply to message #853924] Tue, 24 April 2012 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have since tried running warm, i.e. not using the -clean option in my kernel startup, as suggested in forum thread http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/716606/ , but this does not appear to help if a bundle is requested before the remote repository is identified.

Ideas anyone?

[Updated on: Tue, 24 April 2012 12:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to compensate for slow provisioning server [message #856191 is a reply to message #854990] Wed, 25 April 2012 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

Currently the slow population of the repository content is not synchronized with the hot deploy functionality.

Can you please file a enhancement for this issue?
Re: How to compensate for slow provisioning server [message #869808 is a reply to message #856191] Fri, 04 May 2012 11:29 Go to previous message
Thanks Hristo, will do and provide the issue number on this thread.

In the meantime I have had to change my wiring such that I wait for the kernel to have detected the remote server before writing my plan file to the pickup directory.
Previous Topic:Help! Update virgo tool from sts2.91 and the plugin crashed
Next Topic:How to get EclipseRT/Virgo option back in New Server wizard (STS 2.9.1)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:18:46 GMT 2024