Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Color preference problem
Color preference problem [message #850590] Fri, 20 April 2012 06:46 Go to next message
Paul DeRocco is currently offline Paul DeRoccoFriend
Using Indigo on Ubuntu Oneiric.

The menu backgrounds are charcoal gray, but unlike other programs, the disabled menu items are black instead of light gray, rendering them all but invisible.

Worse, in the debugger perspective, the hover popups show the first level value in black on light gray, but for structures or arrays everything below it is charcoal on black background, making them unreadable.

I've looked through all the color preferences, and twiddled the few that sounded vaguely like they might relate to these things, to no avail. What are these color attributes called, and where are they?
Re: Color preference problem [message #850658 is a reply to message #850590] Fri, 20 April 2012 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Preferences->C/C++->Editor->Appearence color options: Source hover

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Color preference problem [message #851123 is a reply to message #850658] Fri, 20 April 2012 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We must be looking at two different versions. I'm running "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Linux Developers", Indigo SR2 build 20120216-1857. My Preferences has a C/C++ branch and an Appearance item under it, but the dialog pane it shows only contains a bunch of checkboxes, and has no child items. The only place I have any opportunity to change colors is in the General -> Appearance -> Colors and Fonts branch, and it shows a dialog box that has its own tree in it, with branches for Basic, C/C++, CVS, Debug, Git, Java, Remote System Explorer, Tasks, Text Compare, View and Editor Folders, and Wiki Text. C/C++ has only a couple of font choices. Nothing about menus, and nothing about hovers.

Since this is something I only want to change once, I'd even be willing to hand twiddle a config file, if someone could tell me where to look.
Re: Color preference problem [message #852136 is a reply to message #851123] Sat, 21 April 2012 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Hi,

you do not have this settings in CDT? Strange...

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Freference%2Fcdt_u_c_editor_gen.htm

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.cdt.doc.user%2Freference%2Fcdt_u_c_editor_hov.htm

regards,
Klaus

Re: Color preference problem [message #852186 is a reply to message #852136] Sat, 21 April 2012 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I misunderstood Alex's message. I do have something called "Appearance color options" in the right pane, when I select C/C++ -> Editor in the Preferences dialog. But there are only seven items in there, and none of them have anything to do with the menu coloring (in which disabled items are shown in black on charcoal), or the coloring of subsidiary members of aggregates in the variable value hovers (which are shown in charcoal on black).

Does everyone else not have these particular color combinations? What colors do you see when you open a menu and look at the disabled menu items? What do you see when you hover over a structure variable in the debugger and look at the structure members?

I've also tried changing the "Current presentation" and "Current theme" under General -> Appearance, and neither has any effect.

Could this be some bad interaction between Eclipse color settings and system color settings? My menus in other programs show very light gray on charcoal for regular items and medium gray on charcoal (quite legible) for disabled items. Is Eclipse expecting perhaps a medium gray menu background?
Re: Color preference problem [message #852290 is a reply to message #852186] Sat, 21 April 2012 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Quote:
Could this be some bad interaction between Eclipse color settings and system color settings?

I think there was a discussion about it in this forum some time ago. Please try searching it.
Or change the system color setting and see what happens...

Maybe a other option:
http://www.eclipsecolorthemes.org/

regards,
Klaus

[Updated on: Sat, 21 April 2012 22:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Color preference problem [message #852756 is a reply to message #852290] Sun, 22 April 2012 09:27 Go to previous message
Well, I'd love to search, but the Search function seems totally broken. I search entire messages in all forums for "color" and it finds nothing, not even this thread.

I will, however, tinker with the system color settings. Not sure where they are, but there's always Google.
Previous Topic:Problem with Eclipse. Program 'gcc' is not found in $path
Next Topic:Indexer doesn't understand GCC flags
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:12:29 GMT 2024