Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Splash screen for Virgo kernel?
Splash screen for Virgo kernel? [message #848807] Wed, 18 April 2012 15:41 Go to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-SchwartzFriend
Hello all.

I am wondering if it is possible to put up a splash screen while my Virgo kernel is starting up as part of my desktop application.

I am thinking of something similar to what a full blown Virgo server does.

TIA,
B.
Re: Splash screen for Virgo kernel? [message #848967 is a reply to message #848807] Wed, 18 April 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

You may try two approaches:

• Eclipse launcher's --showSplash <bitmap> [1][2]
  • Java SE 6 [3][4]

[1] http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Flauncher.html
[2] http://www.mkyong.com/java/how-to-change-eclipse-splash-welcome-screen-image/
[3] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/SplashScreen.html
[4] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/misc/splashscreen.html

[Updated on: Wed, 18 April 2012 19:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Splash screen for Virgo kernel? [message #849508 is a reply to message #848967] Thu, 19 April 2012 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Hristo.

If I use the Java 6 option, how do I get it to work with OSGi? Do I create a bundle jar and deposit it in the pickup directory?

I know, I am probably being thick again...
Re: Splash screen for Virgo kernel? [message #850779 is a reply to message #849508] Fri, 20 April 2012 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hristo Iliev is currently offline Hristo IlievFriend

The Eclipse launcher will most probably require you to add some entries in config.ini (provided you use 3.5) or Virgo launch properties (for 3.0.2). This seems to me a better approach since you may build a bundle and have it accessible by the OSGi framework either in config.ini or in launch properties.

The Java 6 splash screen approach will require adding splash screen argument in dmk.bat/sh and then adding the JAR with the splash screen in Virgo's class path since the JDK is not an OSGi framework Smile

Please have in mind that I haven't tried these myself so it's all just theory and in practice more work may be required to get things working.
Re: Splash screen for Virgo kernel? [message #853929 is a reply to message #850779] Mon, 23 April 2012 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the details.

Unfortunately I am running an earlier version of Virgo, so I cannot use the Eclipse based approach.

I have tried the Java approach, but for some reason I cannot get it to work within OSGi (a splash screen in a plain Java app works without issues).

So my fallback at the moment is to have a bundle that just contains a borderless frame acting as the splash screen and to have it start up as soon as possible at OSGi container startup. The splash screen gets shown later than I would like, but...

Thanks again,
B.
Re: Splash screen for Virgo kernel? [message #904976 is a reply to message #853929] Wed, 29 August 2012 13:59 Go to previous message
Hello again.

I have now updated my Virgo Kernel to 3.5 and I am trying to use config.ini to define a splash screen. However all my efforts have been for nought so far. In config.ini (located in the configuration dir of my Virgo installation), I have added the following line:

osgi.splashPath=file\:configuration

and I have added a file called splash.bmp in the configuration directory (for testing purposes). A splash screen is not shown and no errors are produced at all.

Ideas?

TIA,
B.
Previous Topic:NoClassDefFoundError problem
Next Topic:How-to-achieve-url-maxtry-filter-in-virgo tomcat server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:50:08 GMT 2024