Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » disable bundle verification during P2 update(looking for a way to disable bundle verification during P2 update operation)
disable bundle verification during P2 update [message #848623] Wed, 18 April 2012 12:23 Go to next message
Christian Sell is currently offline Christian SellFriend
Hello,

I am looking for a way to disable bundle certificate verification for signed bundles during P2 update, similar to the facility the old update system provided through the interface org.eclipse.update.core.IVerificationListener.

We need this, because we are maintaining a custom cacerts file with the JRE on the target systems, which cannot easily be replaced, and which does not contain the root CAs expected by bundle verification.

thanks,
Christian Sell
Re: disable bundle verification during P2 update [message #849270 is a reply to message #848623] Thu, 19 April 2012 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
The approach is slightly different in p2. The prompting for pwd and trust info is done using the org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.UIServices.
The UIService needs to be registered against the provisioning agent (org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.IProvisioningAgent).

HTH

Pascal
Re: disable bundle verification during P2 update [message #849370 is a reply to message #849270] Thu, 19 April 2012 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks. Now, is there way for me to override the default UIService, which seems to simply reject non-verifyable certificates?
Re: disable bundle verification during P2 update [message #849573 is a reply to message #849370] Thu, 19 April 2012 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
specifically, I would like to ask:

- is there a way to extend the default implementation, and just selectively override individual methods?
- if I register a new UIServices implementation, how can I be sure it is used? Does the code that registers the default implementation check whether another service is already registered? Or do I have to do the registering at a specific point in time?

thanks,
chris
Re: disable bundle verification during P2 update [message #849610 is a reply to message #849573] Thu, 19 April 2012 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and, to continue:

I see examples on the web that simply return

new TrustInfo(new Certificate[0], true, true);

from the UIServices#getTrustInfo method. However, reading the comment on TrustInfo#getTrustedCertificates, it seems that would say that there are 0 trustred certificates, which sounds odd. Is it really sufficient to return an empty array?

thanks,
-C
Re: disable bundle verification during P2 update [message #849626 is a reply to message #849610] Thu, 19 April 2012 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, had a look into CertificateChecker. Seems like the algorithm below is better:

public TrustInfo getTrustInfo(Certificate[][] untrustedChain, String[] unsignedDetail)
  {
    Certificate[] trusted = new Certificate[untrustedChain.length];
    for (int i = 0; i < untrustedChain.length; i++)
    {
      trusted[i] = untrustedChain[i][0];
    }
    return new TrustInfo(trusted, true, true);
}
Re: disable bundle verification during P2 update [message #849932 is a reply to message #849626] Thu, 19 April 2012 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pascal Rapicault is currently offline Pascal RapicaultFriend
The last service that has been registered with the provisioning agent wins.
What you can do in your code is wrap the existing service.

Another possibility is to directly change the default implementation in p2 (ValidationDialogServiceUI or CertificateChecker) to have a preference that bypass this check. But this would mean that you would have to adapt a newer version of p2.
Re: disable bundle verification during P2 update [message #849962 is a reply to message #849932] Thu, 19 April 2012 16:12 Go to previous message
as far as my requirements go, I am ok. My service gets called, and it seems to do what its supposed to. Adopting a newer version of P2 wouldnt be an option anyway with my current employer. Now on to the cache issue Wink

thanks
Previous Topic:[P2] RCP Export keeps old repo location in prefs
Next Topic:[P2] Extending RepositoryTrackerComponent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 21:38:54 GMT 2024