Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Migration strategies
Migration strategies [message #847761] Tue, 17 April 2012 16:22 Go to next message
Axel Guckelsberger is currently offline Axel GuckelsbergerFriend
Hi all,

I have been reading many articles about MWE2, Xtext, Xbase and Xtend2. Now I want to start migrating an existing RCP project based on EMF, GMF, Xpand, Xtend and oAW.

My problem is that I have a few difficulties when it comes to the right order of implementation.

I wanted to start with the generator as this is probably going to become the easiest part. Introducing Xtend seems to require an existing Xtext grammar though. Therefore defining the grammar by deriving it from the existing ecore metamodel should be the first step, right?

Although I have seen that it is possible to derive a grammar automatically, a manual reimplementation would be preferable, wouldn't it? Later the meta model is then generated from the Xtext grammar, so the current metamodels are going to be deleted then?

And where is the place for Xcore in this scenario? If I need a Xtext grammar, can Xcore still be of help? Or is this only intended for projects where Xtext is not involved on the application side?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Re: Migration strategies [message #847854 is a reply to message #847761] Tue, 17 April 2012 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

Xcore is a DSL that replaces the ecore tree editor. => you could use it to define you metamodel.
since you have already one you could use it => that you dont need Xcore.
you have already a metamodel => you do not have to let Xtext derive one

Xtend does not need an Xtext Grammar, it needs only emf java classes => a genmodel + generate model code
will do the trick => since you use GMF this is already done.

You can generate with Xpand too

=> the first step would be to define a grammar for your existing metamodel.

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Migration strategies [message #847858 is a reply to message #847761] Tue, 17 April 2012 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hi,

Xcore is a DSL that replaces the ecore tree editor. => you could use it to define you metamodel.
since you have already one you could use it => that you dont need Xcore.
you have already a metamodel => you do not have to let Xtext derive one

Xtend does not need an Xtext Grammar, it needs only emf java classes => a genmodel + generate model code
will do the trick => since you use GMF this is already done.

You can generate with Xpand too

=> the first step would be to define a grammar for your existing metamodel.

~Christian

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: Migration strategies [message #847879 is a reply to message #847858] Tue, 17 April 2012 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Guckelsberger is currently offline Axel GuckelsbergerFriend
Christian,

thanks for your helpful answer!
I will start with the Xtext grammar as well as migrations for Xtend and MWE. Regarding Xcode I will wait until Juno is there and use it then instead of the tree editor.

Regards,
Axel

Re: Migration strategies [message #1146532 is a reply to message #847879] Sun, 20 October 2013 07:51 Go to previous message
Hirdesh Agrawal is currently offline Hirdesh AgrawalFriend
Dear All,

I need your favor or suggestion regarding migrate the xtext version from 1.0.1 to 2.3.0 in custom application.

I followed all following process for migrate the xtext version.
1. Delete the old plug-ins and update the latest plug-ins in target platform.
2. Update the Plug-in Dependencies and Import Statements.
3. Introduction of the Qualified Name.
4. Changes in the index and in find references.
5. Rewritten Node Model.
6. AutoEditStrategy.
7. Other Noteworthy API Changes
To consider the above steps, I started the work with Eclipse-4.2, Which has a xtext-2.3.0 dependency. Successfully I completed the all above steps and removed the compilation error.

Problem: After that I start the testing and getting below error Messages:
[XtextLinkingDiagnostic: null:6 Couldn't resolve reference to Material 'MPS_RECUR'.,
XtextLinkingDiagnostic: null:9 Couldn't resolve reference to Cstic 'NUM_OF_ALLOC'.,
XtextLinkingDiagnostic: null:15 Couldn't resolve reference to Cstic 'INSTANCE_NUM'.,
XtextLinkingDiagnostic: null:14 Couldn't resolve reference to Class 'ALLOC'.]
Previous Topic:Migration of Xtext1.0 to Xtext2.3, Methods not found
Next Topic:migrating to Xtext 2.3 and ITreeAppendable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:53:51 GMT 2024