Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2(Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2)
Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #843776] Fri, 13 April 2012 11:02 Go to next message
Daniel Scholz is currently offline Daniel ScholzFriend
Hello ...

we are trying to do a little proof of technology with Virgo and I am stuck getting greenpages to run in Virgo. I downloaded the greenpages master branch from the git repository because the previous versions did not compile.

I've put all dependent jar's into the repository and the grenpages jar into pickup. When I do I startup -clean I get the following exception:

region-dm-11 <AG0000E> Application context creation failure for bundle 'greenpages-2.5.0.RELEASE-greenpages.jpa' version '2.5.0'. org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'entityManagerFactory' defined in URL [bundleentry://117.fwk1742814727/META-INF/spring/module-context.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: interface javax.persistence.EntityManagerFactory is not visible from class loader

I have to admit that I am extremely new to Virgo so please forgive me if this is my fault Smile ...

com.springsource.javax.persistence-1.0.0.jar sits in the repository/ext directory and so I would not expect this error ... but this could be naive Smile

Thanks for any help ...
Re: Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #843987 is a reply to message #843776] Fri, 13 April 2012 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Just to check. Did you do an ant build of the git repo and then a maven build of the resultant Greenpages zip? In an ideal world, only Virgo committers would need to do the ant build and users could then run with the Greenpages zip. But if the ant build is successful, you should then be able to take the zip file and follow the instructions in the Greenpages guide. Did you carefully follow those instructions? Wink
Re: Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #844477 is a reply to message #843987] Sat, 14 April 2012 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks ... I have read it really carefully Very Happy ... but the manifest of the jpa part of the downloaded zip did not have javax.persistence in the the import package section ... now I have my green pages Smile ...
Re: Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #846610 is a reply to message #844477] Mon, 16 April 2012 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad it's kind of working for you now. But I'm not sure what went wrong for you and I'd like to understand. I downloaded Greenpages 2.4.0.RELEASE.zip, unzipped it, built it with mvn package, and then looked inside the generated PAR file at the JPA bundle. javax.persistence is included in the import-package header:
Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-Classpath: .
Built-By: glynnormington
Tool: Bundlor 1.0.0.RELEASE
Bundle-Name: GreenPages JPA
Created-By: Apache Maven
Import-Bundle: com.springsource.org.eclipse.persistence;version="[1.0.
 0, 1.0.0]",com.springsource.org.eclipse.persistence.jpa;version="[1.0
 .0, 1.0.0]"
Bundle-Vendor: SpringSource Inc.
Bundle-Version: 2.4.0
Build-Jdk: 1.6.0_29
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Import-Package: greenpages;version="[2.4, 2.5)",javax.persistence;vers
 ion="[1.0.0, 1.0.0]",javax.sql;version="0",org.apache.commons.dbcp;ve
 rsion="[1.2.2.osgi, 1.2.2.osgi]",org.springframework.beans.factory.an
 notation;version="[3.0, 3.1)",org.springframework.context.weaving;ver
 sion="[3.0, 3.1)",org.springframework.core.io;version="[3.0, 3.1)",or
 g.springframework.dao.annotation;version="[3.0, 3.1)",org.springframe
 work.orm.jpa;version="[3.0, 3.1)",org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor;
 version="[3.0, 3.1)",org.springframework.stereotype;version="[3.0, 3.
 1)",org.springframework.transaction.annotation;version="[3.0, 3.1)",o
 rg.springframework.transaction.aspectj;version="[3.0, 3.1)"
Bundle-SymbolicName: greenpages.jpa
Archiver-Version: Plexus Archiver

Did you try using Greenpages 2.4.0.RELEASE (before you started building it yourself from the git repo)?
Re: Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #848613 is a reply to message #846610] Wed, 18 April 2012 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well Smile ... I downloaded the version flagged with 2.5.0 from here -> git.eclipse.org/c/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages.git/snapshot/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages-master.zip

and this Zip has the following content in the JPA Manifest after invoking Maven:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Built-By: daniel.sxxxxx Smile
Tool: Bundlor 1.1.0.M04
Bundle-Name: GreenPages JPA
Created-By: Apache Maven 3.0.4
Import-Bundle: com.springsource.org.eclipse.persistence;version="",com.springsource.org.eclipse.persistence.jpa;version=""
Bundle-Vendor: SpringSource
Build-Jdk: 1.6.0_31
Bundle-Version: 2.5.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Import-Package: greenpages;version="[2.5, 2.6)",javax.sql;version="0",
org.apache.commons.dbcp;version="[1.2.2.osgi, 1.2.2.osgi]",org.spring
framework.context.weaving;version="[3.0, 3.5)",org.springframework.da
o.annotation;version="[3.0, 3.5)",org.springframework.orm.jpa;version
="[3.0, 3.5)",org.springframework.orm.jpa.vendor;version="[3.0, 3.5)"
,org.springframework.transaction.aspectj;version="[3.0, 3.5)"
Bundle-SymbolicName: greenpages.jpa
Archiver-Version: Plexus Archiver

Re: Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #848621 is a reply to message #848613] Wed, 18 April 2012 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
git.eclipse.org/c/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages.git/snapshot/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages-master.zip appears to be simple a zip of the Greenpages git repository. The Greenpages zip which we publish is available at http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/samples/ and that's the one we want users to work with.

Please could you tell me how you found git.eclipse.org/c/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages.git/snapshot/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages-master.zip since I would like to avoid other users stumbling upon that, e.g. if we've accidentally provided such a link somewhere in our docs or wiki.

I hope the distinction is now clear: the git repo is for committers and the published zip (at http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/samples/) is what we intend users to work with.

Please accept my apologies if this was simply too confusing! I just added a file IMPORTANT-INFORMATION-FOR-USERS.txt to the git repo which will hopefully head off users in future.
Re: Failed (Hibernate JPA) to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #848752 is a reply to message #848621] Wed, 18 April 2012 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mdu Mising name is currently offline Mdu Mising nameFriend
I hope I'm not repeating the issue: trying to get hibernate.jpa to work.
Thanks.
-Mdu

Setup:
- Virgo 3.0.2
- Greenpages 2.4.0 build from github.com/dsklyut/virgo-samples-greenpages.git

Steps Followed:
Read 'README.txt' on copying par and /usr

Error:
[2012-04-18 10:30:13.731] start-signalling-2 <DE0006E> Start failed fo
r par 'greenpages-hibernate-jpa' version '2.4.0.BUILD-SNAPSHOT'. org.springframe
work.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'entityM
anagerFactory' defined in URL [bundleentry://119.fwk27602911/META-INF/spring/mod
ule-context.xml]: Cannot create inner bean 'jpaVendorAdapter' of type [org.sprin
gframework.orm.jpa.vendor.HibernateJpaVendorAdapter] while setting bean property
'jpaVendorAdapter'; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanC
reationException: Error creating bean with name 'jpaVendorAdapter' defined in UR
L [bundleentry://119.fwk27602911/META-INF/spring/module-context.xml]: Instantiat
ion of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiat
ionException: Could not instantiate bean class [org.springframework.orm.jpa.vend
or.HibernateJpaVendorAdapter]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/hibernate/ejb/HibernatePersistence
Re: Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #848868 is a reply to message #848621] Wed, 18 April 2012 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington wrote on Wed, 18 April 2012 08:21
git.eclipse.org/c/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages.git/snapshot/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages-master.zip appears to be simple a zip of the Greenpages git repository. The Greenpages zip which we publish is available at ... and that's the one we want users to work with.

Please could you tell me how you found git.eclipse.org/c/virgo/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages.git/snapshot/org.eclipse.virgo.sample-greenpages-master.zip since I would like to avoid other users stumbling upon that, e.g. if we've accidentally provided such a link somewhere in our docs or wiki.

I hope the distinction is now clear: the git repo is for committers and the published zip is what we intend users to work with.

Please accept my apologies if this was simply too confusing! I just added a file IMPORTANT-INFORMATION-FOR-USERS.txt to the git repo which will hopefully head off users in future.

Okay it's my pleasure Smile ... it started with the fact that the maven build with 2.4.0 of greenpages did not work and so I searched for problems and found Bug 372640 which looked like the problem I had ... and in there it says it has been fixed ... it then has been easy to traverse from the Wiki to the source repository and pick the zip ... Smile ... sorry for the confusion ...
Re: Failed to activate Greenpages Sample in Virgo 3.0.2 [message #849509 is a reply to message #848868] Thu, 19 April 2012 07:58 Go to previous message
Thanks Daniel. Then perhaps you've simply missed the steps committers would normally take to build the git repo using ant (see the build tab of the Virgo wiki for details) and then take the resultant Greenpages zip and do a maven build as per the Greenpages guide. Hope that solves the problem!!

[Updated on: Thu, 19 April 2012 07:58]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Eclipse Help for Virgo
Next Topic:406 Not Acceptable Jackson JSON in Virgo Web Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:46:12 GMT 2024