Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Spring DM: No Catalina Service found
Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842473] Thu, 12 April 2012 10:27 Go to next message
R Abreu is currently offline R AbreuFriend
Hello,

I got this error when trying to enable Spring DM with web support on virgo-tomcat-server-3.0.2.RELEASE:
ERROR WebExtender-Init
org.springframework.osgi.web.deployer.tomcat.TomcatWarDeployer
No Catalina Service found, bailing out
org.springframework.osgi.service.ServiceUnavailableException:
service matching filter=[(objectClass=org.apache.catalina.Service)] unavailable

I've only added the following bundles the server (/pickup):

spring-osgi-web-1.2.1.jar
spring-osgi-web-extender-1.2.1.jar
catalina.osgi-5.5.23-SNAPSHOT.jar
catalina.start.osgi-1.0.0.jar

Any ideas about this situation?

Thank you.
Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842478 is a reply to message #842473] Thu, 12 April 2012 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Hello,

Why do you need to add org.springframework.osgi.web.deployer.tomcat.TomcatWarDeployer?

Virgo Tomcat server comes with embedded Tomcat. You can just drop your web application/web application bundle into the pickup folder and that's it.

Regards
Violeta
Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842523 is a reply to message #842478] Thu, 12 April 2012 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Just to be clear: Spring DM web support is more or less dead. Gemini Web (based on embedded Tomcat) is essentially the standards based replacement and is what Virgo embeds in Virgo Tomcat Server.
Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842530 is a reply to message #842478] Thu, 12 April 2012 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

The class org.springframework.osgi.web.deployer.tomcat.TomcatWarDeployer comes in spring-osgi-web-1.2.1.jar.

It's part of Spring DM :

From the official documentation:

To use Spring-DM Web, install:

spring-osgi-web.jar - Spring-DM web support
spring-osgi-web-extender.jar - Spring-DM web extender
Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842540 is a reply to message #842523] Thu, 12 April 2012 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington wrote on Thu, 12 April 2012 12:25
Just to be clear: Spring DM web support is more or less dead. Gemini Web (based on embedded Tomcat) is essentially the standards based replacement and is what Virgo embeds in Virgo Tomcat Server.

Hello !
But without Spring DM Web, my OSGi web bundle is ignored by the server
Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842556 is a reply to message #842540] Thu, 12 April 2012 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
Virgo Tomcat Server supports WAR files and OSGi standard Web Application Bundles. You need to convert your OSGi web bundle to one of those formats to get it to run.
Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842608 is a reply to message #842556] Thu, 12 April 2012 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington wrote on Thu, 12 April 2012 13:04
Virgo Tomcat Server supports WAR files and OSGi standard Web Application Bundles. You need to convert your OSGi web bundle to one of those formats to get it to run.

My WAR file is OSGi compliant. It uses Springs, so I need the Spring DM Web module to deploy it.
I've made a test with two OSGi JARs that use Spring, and they work fine on Virgo Tomcat Server.

The problem I'm encountering is with the Spring DM Web activation. Does Eclipse Gemini replace Spring DM in its functionalities?
Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842834 is a reply to message #842608] Thu, 12 April 2012 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Quote:
My WAR file is OSGi compliant.

You should be able to deploy such application on Virgo Tomcat Server.

What is the problem that you receive?

You can check as a reference the applications provided with Virgo Tomcat Server.

Also you can check our Programming Guide http://eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentation-3.0.2.RELEASE/docs/virgo-programmer-guide/htmlsingle/virgo-programmer-guide.html#developing-applications
Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #842877 is a reply to message #842834] Thu, 12 April 2012 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Violeta Georgieva wrote on Thu, 12 April 2012 17:49]Quote:
My WAR file is OSGi compliant.

You should be able to deploy such application on Virgo Tomcat Server.

What is the problem that you receive?

You can check as a reference the applications provided with Virgo Tomcat Server.

Thank you for the advice, I'll double check to make sure my bundle is correct and OSGi compliant.
As I said, my WAR is a Spring MVC application and I'm assuming I have to deploy spring-osgi-web.jar and spring-osgi-web-extender to enable the Spring DM Web module.

The error I got is:

org.springframework.osgi.web.deployer.tomcat.TomcatWarDeployer
No Catalina Service found, bailing out

It appears the Tomcat service needs to be registered in the OSGi registry.

The bottom line is this: is Spring MVC OSGi bundle suppose to work in Virgo Tomcat Server without further configurations?

Thank you

[Updated on: Thu, 12 April 2012 17:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Spring DM: No Catalina Service found [message #844083 is a reply to message #842877] Fri, 13 April 2012 17:14 Go to previous message
I was able to deploy my Spring MVC OSGi bundle to Virgo Tomcat.

I was trying to install the web module of Spring Dynamic Modules (DM) because that's what the official Spring DM documentation says. But that's not necessary.

I found another post in this forum that helped.

All I had to do was add to my web.xml:

<context-param>
        <param-name>contextClass</param-name>
        <param-value>org.eclipse.virgo.web.dm.ServerOsgiBundleXmlWebApplicationContext</param-value>
    </context-param>

And this to my MANIFEST.MF:

Import-Package: org.eclipse.virgo.web.dm 

It now deploys successfully.

Thank you

[Updated on: Fri, 13 April 2012 17:15]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:OSGI reference Bean not found
Next Topic:Eclipse Help for Virgo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:42:20 GMT 2024