Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » DOS Window upon Eclipse Launch(DOS window lists errors and remains after Eclipse launch)
DOS Window upon Eclipse Launch [message #840137] Mon, 09 April 2012 18:07 Go to next message
John Garlisch is currently offline John GarlischFriend
Suddenly, at launch Eclipse opens a DOS window which remains open and states (in part):

!ENTRY org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core 4 0 2012-04-05 11:35:54.942
!MESSAGE Project facet enabler.widgets has not been defined. It is used in plugin com.ibm.etools.aries.core.

So far Eclipse appears to be functional, but closing that DOS window terminates Eclipse and results in a Windows box titled 'Eclipse', the line 'Java was started but returned error code=-1073741510' and other lines too numerous to list now.

It seems this began after I compiled my first Android .apk (which also entailed the creation of my first app key). Anyone have ideas on the cause or solution to the undesirable DOS window? Thanks!
Re: DOS Window upon Eclipse Launch [message #840142 is a reply to message #840137] Mon, 09 April 2012 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Rennie is currently offline Michael RennieFriend
Sounds like you are using the -vm argument while launching and pointing it to java.exe - which causes a DOS window to open while launching.

For example:

C:\eclipse3.8\eclipse.exe -vm C:\vms\jdk1.7.0_01\jre\bin\java.exe

when instead it sounds like you would want:

C:\eclipse3.8\eclipse.exe -vm C:\vms\jdk1.7.0_01\jre\bin\javaw.exe

which will not cause a DOS window to open.
Re: DOS Window upon Eclipse Launch [message #840152 is a reply to message #840142] Mon, 09 April 2012 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Michael, but I do not believe that is the case; Eclipse is launched only with the -clean -consoleLog args. Here is what appears in the console prior to the !ENTRY warning:

eclipse.buildId=M20110210-1200
java.version=1.6.0_25
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product -clean -consoleLog
Re: DOS Window upon Eclipse Launch [message #840918 is a reply to message #840152] Tue, 10 April 2012 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Quote:
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product -clean -consoleLog

That's only those arguments that are passed to the application, but not the -vm argument that is consumed by the launcher. Have a look at your eclipse.ini.

best,
Stephan
Re: DOS Window upon Eclipse Launch [message #840975 is a reply to message #840918] Tue, 10 April 2012 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Stephan, but this is still not resolved.

My eclipse.ini does NOT include a -vm argument; however I do notice when viewing Eclipse's Help-About-Installation Details-Configuration a -vm argument for java.exe exists there.

Can someone help me determine where that configuration comes from and how to edit it? I've had no luck thus far...
Re: DOS Window upon Eclipse Launch [message #840996 is a reply to message #840975] Tue, 10 April 2012 19:27 Go to previous message
OK, got it.

Apparently, because the .ini did not have the -vm argument, Eclipse loaded a default. This default is what appeared in the 'Configuration' tab. Adding the -vm argument to eclipse.ini (with the argument pointing to javaw.exe) rid me of the console; also, the chosen jre was indicated in the 'Configuration' tab.

Thank you, Michael and Stephan, for pointing me in the right direction.
Previous Topic:Debug very slow
Next Topic:Class files in exported EJB jar file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:58:21 GMT 2024