Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » MoDisco » step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml
step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #837047] Thu, 05 April 2012 07:57 Go to next message
Davide M is currently offline Davide MFriend
Hi,

I am a beginner of modisco. It look like very interesting. I need to reverse engineering java code into uml. If I right understand this is possible using modisco and umltools or papyrus.

Because for me is not easy to setup the project, there is a step by step tutorial for this ? I have installed the plug-in but then I don't know what to do...

A further question. After some changes in the java code is possible to update the created uml diagram without losing some graphical informations (like class box width, height, x and y and so on ..)

If I need to customize the way composition is recognized ... where can I start?

Re: step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #841436 is a reply to message #837047] Wed, 11 April 2012 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fabien Giquel is currently offline Fabien GiquelFriend
Hi,

thank you for your intereset in MoDisco tools.
No tutorial but the end user documentation is available : http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp -> section MoDisco.

"Java -> uml" process involves two steps : "Java code -> Kdm model" and then "kdm model -> uml model".

In documentation you will have informations about "Java code -> Kdm model" process in "Java->Java 0.9->Java Discoverer" chapter. And also about "kdm model -> uml model" in "Infrastructure->kdm" chapter.

Basically the steps to create some .uml file from your java project are :
- select the xxx java project in eclipse explorer
- right click -> "MoDisco->Discoverers...->Discover KDM Code Model from java"
- set "serialize" to true in dialog opened
=> some xxx_kdm.xmi file is created in your java project
- select the xxx_kdm.xmi
- right click -> "MoDisco->Discoverers...->Discover UML Model"
=> some xxx.uml file has been created in you java project. You may edit it with default uml model editor. This .uml file contains only rough uml datas without graphical informations (diagrams, ..)
- you may import the xxx.uml in Papyrus or UMLTools (see tool dedicated documentation), and then create some diagrams from datas.

"After some changes in the java code is possible to update the created uml diagram without losing some graphical informations (like class box width, height, x and y and so on ..)" -> I think that is not possible until now because the process creates again the entire .uml file and so existing some diagrams model created with Papyrus and UMLTools will not be synchronized anymore. But you should give it a try.

"If I need to customize the way composition is recognized ... where can I start" -> I think the requires to modify the "kdm->uml" transformation which has been written using Eclipse ATL language. You may import or checkout from MoDisco SVN the "org.eclipse.modisco.kdm.uml2converter" plugin.

Hoping it will help you,
Fabien

----------------------------------------------------
Fabien GIQUEL
R&D Engineer
Mia-Software
rue Nina Simone
44000 NANTES
----------------------------------------------------
Re: step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #841461 is a reply to message #837047] Wed, 11 April 2012 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Fabien,

sound very helpful. I will try ...
Re: step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #1062163 is a reply to message #841436] Thu, 06 June 2013 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junfeng Zhao is currently offline Junfeng ZhaoFriend
Hi,Fabien
I discover .uml file from java project by modisco, then explore it by papyrus. Now I have a confusion that I can not view the entire class diagram corresponding to the .uml file and I can view class elements only by drag and drop. I want to know whether there is some method to visulize the entire class diagram. Even we must use papyrus to view the class diagram, I think the relationships between the classes existing in class diagrams should be viewed automatically. Do you think my viewpoint is reasonable? thank you.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 June 2013 10:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #1064342 is a reply to message #1062163] Tue, 18 June 2013 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
poul poulsen is currently offline poul poulsenFriend
hello,
i have the same problem, because i only want to view all my classes from a java project inside papyrus.

did you find a solution yet?

best wishes
poul
Re: step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #1064343 is a reply to message #1064342] Tue, 18 June 2013 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi poul,

unfortunately not! Somethimes I use ObjectAid UML Explorer for Eclipse. Is free but not open source.

Davide.
Re: step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #1064345 is a reply to message #1064343] Tue, 18 June 2013 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i heard about that.
is it possible to do reverse engineering?

poul.
Re: step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #1064349 is a reply to message #1064345] Tue, 18 June 2013 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Poul,

what do you mean with reverse engineering? With ObjectAid is possible to have a UML diagram from java source code.
When you made some java code changes, then the UML diagram is refreshed.

Re: step by step guide to reverse engineering java code to uml [message #1064350 is a reply to message #1064349] Tue, 18 June 2013 20:29 Go to previous message
hi davide,

reverse engineering means to create java code from uml and uml diagramms from java code. the idea is, that the developer could change code or diagram -> both are always consistent.
unfortunately the combination Eclipse Modisco and Papyrus should provide this, but i read from problems to manage this.

poul.
Previous Topic:MoDisco Tool - Relational Database Information Discovery Tool
Next Topic:Modisco & Papyrus don't generate UML
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 14:02:22 GMT 2024