Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EclipseLink » Best approach for multiple RCP applications using same networked database(With one networked database and multiple RCP application clients, how to use JPA?)
Best approach for multiple RCP applications using same networked database [message #835237] Tue, 03 April 2012 00:32 Go to next message
John Steele is currently offline John SteeleFriend
I'm creating an Eclipse RCP application that will run on multiple computers and interact with a shared networked database. When using EclipseLink, how do you manage EntityManagers for each of the clients, and how do other clients get informed of changes in other persistence contexts?

I've thought about using web services or RMI, but I would think there's a more elegant approach. Eeach client needs to somehow get an EntityManager. I was thinking of having a headless client that would interact with all the clients and do the actual persisting.

I appreciate your thought, ideas, and feedback. Please point me in the direction of articles you know about that discuss this topic.

Thanks
John Steele
Re: Best approach for multiple RCP applications using same networked database [message #841647 is a reply to message #835237] Wed, 11 April 2012 15:30 Go to previous message
James Sutherland is currently offline James SutherlandFriend

Either each client accesses the database directly, and either does not use caching, or make use of invalidation, refreshing, database events, cache coordination, or other mechanisms.

Or, you have a three tier architecture with each client accessing a server which accesses the database. The client would still not use caching, but the server could.

James : Wiki : Book : Blog : Twitter
Previous Topic:JPA Query Paging : Query.setFirstResult(), Query.setMaxResults()
Next Topic:getOldValue not exists in Interface ChangeRecord
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:36:14 GMT 2024