Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » how do I see compiler errors??
how do I see compiler errors?? [message #831967] Thu, 29 March 2012 15:28 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I keep getting "Error: Could not find or load main class ..." error.

Finally wondering if the issue is some kind of compilation error that I'm not seeing. For the heck of it, I created a couple different errors that should have given me some kind of error msg upon compilation, but I don't see any! I tried creating an object that isn't defined, and I intentionally put a space in my println:
Syst em.out.println("Page title is: ");

This should create some kind of error somewhere, yes??
Where would I see it? I did have Build Automatically checked, tried unchecking, doing a clean, and it says that it will build after the clean, but I still see no error?? How do I get the errors to show?

Thanks
Glenn
Re: how do I see compiler errors?? [message #831983 is a reply to message #831967] Thu, 29 March 2012 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Rennie is currently offline Michael RennieFriend
What kind of project is the Java source in? If you are not working within a Java project the Java builder will not run on your source and no error markers will be created.

If you are working in a Java project, try opening the Problems View when your source is open in the Java editor and see if there is anything there.
Re: how do I see compiler errors?? [message #831988 is a reply to message #831983] Thu, 29 March 2012 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I'm pretty sure that I created a java project.. is there any way that I can verify?

Also, the Problems view is one of the bottom panes? (Along with Javadoc / declaration/ search and console?) If so, there is nothing listed: "0 items"

Sad
Re: how do I see compiler errors?? [message #832037 is a reply to message #831988] Thu, 29 March 2012 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
OK, won't let me do links cause I'm under 25 msgs.. so I'll be editing them out..

I found the "Validate" option under the project, clicked it, and got the following in the Problem view:

Description Resource Path Location Type
cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content was found starting with element 'pluginManagement'. One of ...:distributionManagement, "... maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0":properties}' is expected. pom.xml /MySel20Proj line 16 XML Problem
------------

Would you know if this means that I need a new build of maven?

Eclipse opened the pom file for me to highlight the error (and possibly correct it I guess .. red "X" next to "pluginManagement"), but I wouldn't know what to update.

Thanks for looking at this

Glenn
Re: how do I see compiler errors?? [message #832248 is a reply to message #831988] Fri, 30 March 2012 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On 03/29/2012 10:58 AM, Glenn Bagrowski wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that I created a java project.. is there any way that I
> can verify?
>
Select project, right click ->Properties. The list of properties on the
left should include Java Build Path, Java Code Style, etc. Builders
section should have Java Builder.
> Also, the Problems view is one of the bottom panes? (Along with Javadoc
> / declaration/ search and console?) If so, there is nothing listed: "0
> items"
>
> :(

Also make sure that your source code is in a source folder.
Properties->Java Build Path->Source tab.

You might want to check out the Java development user guide Basic
Tutorial. It explains what needs to be done for Java development.
Re: how do I see compiler errors?? [message #891935 is a reply to message #831967] Tue, 26 June 2012 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr. W. Muir is currently offline Mr. W. MuirFriend
I had the same issue. The issue for me was my Java "Project Name" had spaces and a semicolon in the name. Renaming it worked.

Before: ICS; 2012-13
After: abcd

Worked when I renamed it to "abcd".
Re: how do I see compiler errors?? [message #891937 is a reply to message #831967] Tue, 26 June 2012 15:57 Go to previous message
Mr. W. Muir is currently offline Mr. W. MuirFriend
I had the same issue. The issue for me was my Java "Project Name" had spaces and a semicolon in the name. Renaming it worked.

Before: ICS; 2012-13
After: abcd

Worked when I renamed it to "abcd".
Previous Topic:Eclipse proxy implementation, NTML
Next Topic:Eclipse program execution error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:07:49 GMT 2024