Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Eclipse freezes/hangs before Workspace selection(Problem with starting and running eclipse)
Eclipse freezes/hangs before Workspace selection [message #830952] Wed, 28 March 2012 09:05 Go to next message
tim berling is currently offline tim berlingFriend
Hello everyone,

I am experiencing problems with my eclipse IDE.
When I start it, it immediately freezes after showing the splash screen. Clicking on the splash screen gives an "Eclipse does not respond" message (WIN7). After about two minutes I can actually select a workspace and start the program, but the freezing occurs again, for example when opening a .java file.

When I run it with -console, I can see that the 'osgi>' prompt appears only after the first freeze. I have tried using -clean with no success and have also tried the "renaming org.eclipse.core.resources" fix for every workspace without any luck.
Since the freeze occurs before the workspace selection I don't think it is Workspace-related.

I am running Win7 64bit, have java and eclipse 32bit. Eclipses 'About':
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857

The only plugin I installed is Subclipse.

This problem appeared to happen 'over night' since I did not make any deliberate changes to the installation, nor did I do anything unusual in any of the projects.

I hope anyone can give me a hint what the problem might be Confused.

thank you and best regards
Tim
Re: Eclipse freezes/hangs before Workspace selection [message #832854 is a reply to message #830952] Fri, 30 March 2012 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Girard is currently offline Peter GirardFriend
I have seen this same issue but when building the workspace. I am also running win7 64 bit with eclipse jee 32-bit. Just backed off to sr1, and am able to continue without any issues or hangs.
Re: Eclipse freezes/hangs before Workspace selection [message #833387 is a reply to message #832854] Sat, 31 March 2012 11:47 Go to previous message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
Try one of the approaches on the following wiki age:

wiki.eclipse.org/IRC_FAQ#Crashers.2C_Freezing.2C_and_other_Major_Issues

When reporting a hang, be sure to report what stage is reported on the splash-screen, as well as any content seen in the log, and a tack trace from jps.
Previous Topic:Maximize/restore a view programmatically
Next Topic:Re: Simple Jface ListViewer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:48:31 GMT 2024