Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » GMF (Graphical Modeling Framework) » Options in GMF Wizard
Options in GMF Wizard [message #830301] Tue, 27 March 2012 13:05 Go to next message
Heinz Huber is currently offline Heinz HuberFriend
Hi,

i am trying to build a GMF on top of my xtext project.
I found the following instructions: http://www.kermeta.org/docs/fr.irisa.triskell.kermeta.samples.fsm.documentation/build/html.chunked/KerMeta-Create-FSM-Graphical-Editor-With-GMF/ch02.html

Now i got some questions to the things i am inserting while the wizard.

1) The element which i mark in figure 2.10 is always the start rule of my xtext grammar?

2) What are the values of the checkboxes in figure 2.10 (Graphical Definition Model
)? I mean the box, the line and the A. Please give me a short example too, because i couldn't get the system behind that thing. -> At the moment i marked elements which should be filled in in the editor with the A, elements which later be "boxes" in my editor with the box symbol. And the other ones which will have a connection to another element with the line element. But that doesn't work very well oO

3)For what are the informations in figure 2.17? Is this the same like figure 2.10? Or has this information a different sense? Maybe you got an short example too for that. -> At the moment i filled in the information like i wrote at the end of question 2!

I tried working with this short instruction, but it doesn't work. After completing the generation progress i got my editor. But i could only insert the first element and not more. Also figure 2.19 looks very different to mine. I only got the start value of my xtext grammer and no other elements (which again leeds me to the idea, that i made mistakes on one of the questions above). Changing something in the "change .." button always produces a error which doesn't let me compile my project.

Hope, that someone of you got an idea to fix that. Maybe there is no way to fix that, because my bug is solved with correcting my code after getting the answer to my 3 questions.

Thanks in advance for your help! Smile
Re: Options in GMF Wizard [message #830363 is a reply to message #830301] Tue, 27 March 2012 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guillaume Hillairet is currently offline Guillaume HillairetFriend
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
<title></title>
<meta name="Generator" content="Cocoa HTML Writer">
<meta name="CocoaVersion" content="1038.36">
<style type="text/css">
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #021f8c}
p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #021f8c; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p6 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000}
p.p7 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p8 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<p class="p1">Hi Heinz,</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">See comments below.</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">On 2012-03-27 15:05:44 +0200, Heinz Huber said:</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p3">Hi,</p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p3">i am trying to build a GMF on top of my xtext project.</p>
<p class="p3">I found the following instructions: http://www.kermeta.org/docs/fr.irisa.triskell.kermeta.samples.fsm.documentation/build/html.chunked/KerMeta-Create-FSM-Graphical-Editor-With-GMF/ch02.html</p>
<p class="p5"><br></p>
<p class="p6">You could and should start with the official tutorial <a href="http://wiki.eclipse.org/Graphical_Modeling_Framework/Tutorial/Part_1">http://wiki.eclipse.org/Graphical_Modeling_Framework/Tutorial/Part_1</a></p>
<p class="p6">If its the first time your try GMF its better to start with a very simple model, then you'll understand the basics, you could do the same with your xtext model.</p>
<p class="p5"><br></p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p3">Now i got some questions to the things i am inserting while the wizard.</p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p3">1) The element which i mark in figure 2.10 is always the start rule of my xtext grammar?</p>
<p class="p7"><br></p>
<p class="p8">Here you should select the element that will contain all your graphical elements. In general its the root class of your metamodel, so that should correspond to your start rule.</p>
<p class="p7"><br></p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p3">2) What are the values of the checkboxes in figure 2.10 (Graphical Definition Model )? I mean the box, the line and the A. Please give me a short example too, because i couldn't get the system behind that thing. -&gt; At the moment i marked elements which should be filled in in the editor with the A, elements which later be "boxes" in my editor with the box symbol. And the other ones which will have a connection to another element with the line element. But that doesn't work very well oO</p>
<p class="p7"><br></p>
<p class="p8">This is where you say that a class should be represented as a box or as a connection (link between boxes). The A will be a label for your grahical element.</p>
<p class="p7"><br></p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p3">3)For what are the informations in figure 2.17? Is this the same like figure 2.10? Or has this information a different sense? Maybe you got an short example too for that. -&gt; At the moment i filled in the information like i wrote at the end of question 2!</p>
<p class="p7"><br></p>
<p class="p8">This is where you define the palette or creation tools. If you marked an element as box previously then the same here, its creation tool should be a box.</p>
<p class="p7"><br></p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p3">I tried working with this short instruction, but it doesn't work. After completing the generation progress i got my editor. But i could only insert the first element and not more. Also figure 2.19 looks very different to mine. I only got the start value of my xtext grammer and no other elements (which again leeds me to the idea, that i made mistakes on one of the questions above). Changing something in the "change .." button always produces a error which doesn't let me compile my project.</p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p3">Hope, that someone of you got an idea to fix that. Maybe there is no way to fix that, because my bug is solved with correcting my code after getting the answer to my 3 questions.</p>
<p class="p4"><br></p>
<p class="p3">Thanks in advance for your help! :)<span class="Apple-converted-space"> </span></p>
<p class="p5"><br></p>
<p class="p6">BRs,</p>
<p class="p6">Guillaume</p>
</body>
</html>
Re: Options in GMF Wizard [message #830372 is a reply to message #830363] Tue, 27 March 2012 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guillaume Hillairet is currently offline Guillaume HillairetFriend
repost, previous had bad formatting.

Hi Heinz,

See comments below.

On 2012-03-27 15:05:44 +0200, Heinz Huber said:

Hi,

>> i am trying to build a GMF on top of my xtext project.
>> I found the following instructions: http://www.kermeta.org/docs/
fr.irisa.triskell.kermeta.samples.fsm.documentation/build/html.chunked/KerMeta-Create-FSM-Graphical-Editor-With-GMF/ch02.html

You could and should start with the official tutorial
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Graphical_Modeling_Framework/Tutorial/Part_1
If its the first time your try GMF its better to start with a very
simple model, then you'll understand the basics, you could do the same
with your xtext model.

>> Now i got some questions to the things i am inserting while the wizard.
>> 1) The element which i mark in figure 2.10 is always the start rule
of my xtext grammar?

Here you should select the element that will contain all your graphical
elements. In general its the root class of your metamodel, so that
should correspond to your start rule.

>> 2) What are the values of the checkboxes in figure 2.10 (Graphical
Definition Model )? I mean the >> box, the line and the A. Please give
me a short example too, because i couldn't get the system behind that
thing. -> At the moment i marked elements which should be filled in in
the editor with the A, >> elements which later be "boxes" in my editor
with the box symbol. And the other ones which will have a connection
to another element with the line element. But that doesn't work very
well oO

This is where you say that a class should be represented as a box or as
a connection (link between boxes). The A will be a label for your
grahical element.

>> 3)For what are the informations in figure 2.17? Is this the same
like figure 2.10? Or has this information a different sense? Maybe you
got an short example too for that. -> At the moment i filled in >>
the information like i wrote at the end of question 2!

This is where you define the palette or creation tools. If you marked
an element as box previously then the same here, its creation tool
should be a box.

>> I tried working with this short instruction, but it doesn't work.
After completing the generation progress i got my editor. But i could
only insert the first element and not more. Also figure 2.19 looks
very different to mine. I only got the start value of my xtext grammer
and no other elements (which again >> leeds me to the idea, that i
made mistakes on one of the questions above). Changing something in the
"change .." button always produces a error which doesn't let me compile
my project.

>> Hope, that someone of you got an idea to fix that. Maybe there is
no way to fix that, because my bug is solved with correcting my code
after getting the answer to my 3 questions.

>> Thanks in advance for your help! :)

BRs,
Guillaume
Re: Options in GMF Wizard [message #831117 is a reply to message #830372] Wed, 28 March 2012 13:46 Go to previous message
Heinz Huber is currently offline Heinz HuberFriend
Hi Guillaume,

first of all thanks for your answer!
I tried to complete the wizard with your hints, but got the same problem again!

Quote:
I tried working with this short instruction, but it doesn't work.
After completing the generation progress i got my editor. But i could
only insert the first element and not more. Also figure 2.19 looks
very different to mine. I only got the start value of my xtext grammer
and no other elements (which again >> leeds me to the idea, that i
made mistakes on one of the questions above). Changing something in the
"change .." button always produces a error which doesn't let me compile
my project.

This error is still there and i got no idea how to fix that. Is there anything, that i have to to do which is NOT said in the instruction i posted? Maybe there is something important missing ... dont know! Sad

I tried some other examples which were shipped with the GMF framework -> They work very well, but i dont really know why they work!^^
Is there any tutorial/instruction/documentation which is understandable and tells me something about the magic which is done in GMF?

I also tryied "Eugenia" which is a tool that is supposed to do the GMF work without the user, but this is not working for my project ... or i am not able to work with that xD

Hope you got an idea to solve my problem. Thanks in advance! Smile
Previous Topic:GMP Activity
Next Topic:Adding options to context menu dynamically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:28:24 GMT 2024