Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Remus Information Management » Market Install? PDF viewing?(Questions about Remus)
Market Install? PDF viewing? [message #829001] Sun, 25 March 2012 17:54 Go to next message
Terry Owen is currently offline Terry OwenFriend
I recently downloaded Remus (0.3) and it looks like a great tool but I do have a few questions.

The first one is when I go to the Market Place for extensions and I don't see any options to install them. Am I missing something? PDF management is something I really need.

And on the subject of pdfs, when I add one to a project, I don't have an option to open within Remus - only a link to external viewer. I chose the system option in the preferences. Do I need to install Ghostscript? (I'm using Windows 7.)

I know Eclipse-based tools can be finicky to set up. I'm sure that I'm just overlooking something simple. For example, editing the mind map embedded gives me a slew of errors but if I click on the "Open Mindmap Editor", it works fine.

Also, is there a plugin to manage bibliographies?

I've been looking at note-taking programs lately. I used to use Treepad a lot and am testing Right Note currently (like the spreadsheet note type and the ability to link to a program on disk) but Remus seems to do everything they do. I like it a lot.

Thanks,

Terry

Re: Market Install? PDF viewing? [message #829232 is a reply to message #829001] Mon, 26 March 2012 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So, just a quick update... I stumbled on the add repository and once I connected with the Eclipse/Remus one, I could see the install option for the plug-ins. And not sure exactly how but now I have the pdf slider - so far, so good.

Would still love to find a bibliography plug-in and some sort of spreadsheet/csv file handling. Not that I'd have a clue on how to integrate them, though.

I have a major research project coming up soon - hopefully I can get past the learning curve by then.

Terry
Re: Market Install? PDF viewing? [message #830923 is a reply to message #829232] Wed, 28 March 2012 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Seidel is currently offline Tom SeidelFriend
Terry,

If you have downloaded the application through the website you should be able to handle PDFs. To install additional components see http://wiki.eclipse.org/Remus/Getting_started#Installing_additional_components

Remus has its own project structure, to start working with pdfs the most easiest way is to drop a pdf into the project structure. Afterwards a new information unit will be created with the pdf attached.

There is a bibliography plugin, but it's not districuted with the current release. You can checkout the source-code at http://remusinfomngmnt.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/remusinfomngmnt/trunk/eclipse-client/org.remus.infomngmnt.bibliographic/. I'll take a look if I can make this plugin installable through the marketplace, so stay tuned.

Remus has currently no native support for spreadsheets, but we're alway open for contributions Wink

Cheers
Tom
Re: Market Install? PDF viewing? [message #832411 is a reply to message #830923] Fri, 30 March 2012 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom,

I'm not a Java programmer, so I don't have a clue how the Eclipse SDK works - something you write about when creating a new information type. Is there some documentation about creating plug-ins from scratch? I think I have a Java CSV file editor somewhere on the hard drive... (I do have some Python, Perl and VB experience.)

Anyway, I've been testing lots of PIM/Notebook apps, including programs like Scrivener and One Note. My Advanced Project (I'm an adult student working on my BA) is related to Data Management and I'm kind of leaning towards exploring how an average user manages a lifetime of assorted data.

RIM has a lot of points in its favor but it isn't exactly friendly to non-programmers. I'm specifically thinking about the whole dropping rules onto the sys-tray field. Not really getting that - although I did manage to do it.

You don't really advertise it as a general user tool, so I can understand if you don't want to get into the "for dummies" territory. But if you would, maybe I can start over, with questions that we can document?

Thanks,

Terry

Re: Market Install? PDF viewing? [message #832470 is a reply to message #832411] Fri, 30 March 2012 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Seidel is currently offline Tom SeidelFriend
Terry Owen wrote on Fri, 30 March 2012 01:25

RIM has a lot of points in its favor but it isn't exactly friendly to non-programmers. I'm specifically thinking about the whole dropping rules onto the sys-tray field. Not really getting that - although I did manage to do it.

You don't really advertise it as a general user tool, so I can understand if you don't want to get into the "for dummies" territory. But if you would, maybe I can start over, with questions that we can document?

Sure. Btw, the high barrier to get started is in not the intention, so if you have any particular suggestions to improve that, please let us know (you can file a bug at http://bugs.eclipse.org)

I don't know if you have already read some documentation, the most important links are:

1. General documention
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Remus

3. Some Screencasts
http://www.youtube.com/user/RemusIM?feature=mhee

3. Regarding Task Management
http://remus-software.org/2011/06/19/how-to-use-remus-as-task-management-application/

4. The integration of Business intelligence
http://www.richclient2.de/2009_11_23/building-reports-of-your-local-information-pool-with-birt-and-remus/

Regarding your CVS file:

What do you exactly want to do with this file? - I'm asking this, because for Remus the more relevant question is which information you want to manage, not which dataformat. - So CSV is an input (e.g. for a drop-rule) but not an information type (information types have an explicit semantic, CSV can be everything)

Cheers
Tom

Re: Market Install? PDF viewing? [message #833004 is a reply to message #832470] Fri, 30 March 2012 21:16 Go to previous message
Tom,

Just a quick note since I don't think I'm going to have time until Sunday to properly answer your questions.

I tend to export data from Excel into CSV files and having RIM display them in a proper table format would be great (does that answer your question?) but I'd love to see a proper Excel type of information type, too. Kind of like this:

www.birt-exchange.org/ org/ wiki/ index.php? title=FAQ:Spreadsheets_in_Java

I am not a fan of screen casts. I'll never, ever watch them unless I have no other choice. Maybe I'll check some out this weekend if I have time. I did read most of the blog stuff that the initial install of RIM went out and downloaded. (I actually thought that was a pretty cool thing and would love to know how to do that.)

I'm curious why there isn't an html file type. Would it be that hard to add? I see that the email uses html but it seems counter-intuitive to use that for all html files. And if I either copy in or embed a large tiddlywiki type of html file, all I get are slews of errors. Smaller pages seem to display okay.

Thanks,

Terry

Previous Topic:SOLVED: Ubuntu menu problem
Next Topic:Dependency Issue with IDE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:49:38 GMT 2024