Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Localization of Menus(Question regarding localization of Menus such as File, Edit, Tools)
Localization of Menus [message #825997] Wed, 21 March 2012 14:17 Go to next message
Kundan M is currently offline Kundan MFriend
Hi,

I am working on an application known as Teamcenter , product by Siemens. The UI is based on RCP framework. The application has a menu bar with menus such as File, Edit, Tools etc and each menu has sub-menus specific to the application.

I am trying to change the name of the menus e.g from File to FileNew by making changes in the application specific properties files. However these changes are not getting reflected. I suspect that the menus are populated through RCP framework. In other words the menus are provided by RCP and not by the application and hence the changes have to be done in Eclipse related files.

Is my suspicion correct? If yes then how do you go about changing the menus?

Note: I have attached a screenshot of the menu bar for better understanding of my problem

Thanks
Kundan

• Attachment: Doc1.docx
    (Size: 14.30KB, Downloaded 180 times)
Re: Localization of Menus [message #826725 is a reply to message #825997] Thu, 22 March 2012 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
El Shorty is currently offline El ShortyFriend
If the manubars are added using rcp, you could try to go to the plugin.xml, open extensions tab, Check the menus extension and see if you can change the label there. If I'm not wrong it should change. I'm new to RCP myself. I do think it's possible that the menu are manually coded and then I can't help you Smile
Re: Localization of Menus [message #826745 is a reply to message #826725] Thu, 22 March 2012 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
well if it is an RCP application - how are you setting up the menus? I
guess you do this in your ActionBarAdvisor this where you have to make
the change.

You can not replace the english labels easily because they are coming
from a properties file without any lang/country extension which is part
of the ui.workbenhch bundle.

Tom

Am 22.03.12 13:28, schrieb El Shorty:
> If the manubars are added using rcp, you could try to go to the
> plugin.xml, open extensions tab, Check the menus extension and see if
> you can change the label there. If I'm not wrong it should change. I'm
> new to RCP myself. I do think it's possible that the menu are manually
> coded and then I can't help you :)
Re: Localization of Menus [message #831676 is a reply to message #825997] Thu, 29 March 2012 07:30 Go to previous message
Kundan M is currently offline Kundan MFriend
I am not sure whether I understood your replies correctly. However I would like mention few things related to the population of the menus. The application, Teamcenter, consists of many plugins and one of the plugins is populating the menus. The plugin.xml of the plugin is using File menu contribution and adding the sub menus underneath it. The plugin.properties of the above said plugin has the necessary menu names defined in it. Hence logically speaking if I make a change in the menu names in my custom plugin properties files, the change should get reflected. Unfortunately thats not happening.

I have attached the plugin.xml and corresponding plugin.properties for your reference. The plugin.properties file mentions fileMenu.NAME=File but nowhere in the plugin.xml I could locate %fileMenu.Name. Does it mean that the menu name "File" is not provided from this plugin? If yes then which plugin is providing it?

Regards
Kundan
Previous Topic:Is there a Tutorial for Exporting products for multiple platforms?
Next Topic:Spring XSD Schema Problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:50:46 GMT 2024