Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Upgrading from JAVA 6 to 7(Problems with compiler)
Upgrading from JAVA 6 to 7 [message #825350] Tue, 20 March 2012 18:58 Go to next message
Joop Lanting is currently offline Joop LantingFriend
Hello,
I just upgraded from JAVA 6.30 to JAVA 7.3, but my ECLIPSE 3.8 sticks to JAVA 6 (1.6).
I have 20 projects running and I don't want to enter them from scratch again.
Should I throw away all .metadata and start all over again importing all of my projects
or is there a way to make ECLIPSE aware of JAVA 7 (1.7) for all projects?
;JOOP!
Re: Upgrading from JAVA 6 to 7 [message #825400 is a reply to message #825350] Tue, 20 March 2012 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
That depends on somewhat on whether you have project specific settings related to Java. If not, you control the JDK/JRE used in Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs. You can add additional JDK/JREs to your workspace and pick the default one.
Re: Upgrading from JAVA 6 to 7 [message #825830 is a reply to message #825400] Wed, 21 March 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I uninstalled all JAVA versions from my laptop and then installed 7u3 (64-bit).
At least everything else worked.
To my dismay I got a bunch of errors; of course: rules were tightened once more.
But I also noted that, randomly, projects still were bound to a non-existing 1.6 library
while others had adapted to the (only) 1.7 library; b.t.w.: I never explicitly addressed any system library.
Did I do something wrong?
;JOOP!
Re: Upgrading from JAVA 6 to 7 [message #826246 is a reply to message #825830] Wed, 21 March 2012 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
The correct way to change the JDK/JRE used is to go to Window->Preferences->Java->Installed JREs as previously suggested. There is no reason to uninstall anything to switch.
Re: Upgrading from JAVA 6 to 7 [message #826519 is a reply to message #826246] Thu, 22 March 2012 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, so I did, but half of my projects kept referring the (non-existing) 1.6 library, so I had to change
their properties one by one.
A last question: I managed to solve 31 of the 35 errors ECLIPSE raised when 1.7 became the java version, mostly
by the quick fix.
However 4 (identical) errors remain, quick fix does not do anything here; example:

import java.awt.Color;
import java.awt.Component;
import java.awt.Font;

import javax.swing.DefaultListCellRenderer;
import javax.swing.JLabel;
import javax.swing.JList;
import javax.swing.ListCellRenderer;

public class TestCase
{
static final String[] numbers = { "One", "Two", "Three"};

public static void main(String[] commandLine)
{
JList<String> myList = null;

myList = new JList<String>(numbers);
myList.setCellRenderer(getStripeRenderer(Color.RED, Color.BLUE)); // ERROR below ....
}
static ListCellRenderer getStripeRenderer(Color one, Color two)
{
return(new StripeRenderer(one, two));
}
}

Error message:
Type safety: The expression of type ListCellRenderer needs unchecked conversion to conform to ListCellRenderer<? super String>

I thought I knew a bit about generics but I don't have a clue what to change.
Thanks for your help.
;JOOP!
Re: Upgrading from JAVA 6 to 7 [message #826627 is a reply to message #826519] Thu, 22 March 2012 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
Chage the getStripeRender declaration to 'ListCellRenderer<String> getStripeRenderer(Color one, Color two)'
Re: Upgrading from JAVA 6 to 7 [message #826695 is a reply to message #826627] Thu, 22 March 2012 11:46 Go to previous message
That worked.
All the other errors vanished by using a 'logical' choice from Quick Fix.
Thanks for answering.
;JOOP!
Previous Topic:Eclipse Error
Next Topic:How to listen to a compilation error as soon as it happens
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:41:24 GMT 2024