Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » M2M (model-to-model transformation) » [ATL] Transformation to OWL2 functional-style syntax: is owl2.ecore proper for this task?(Usage of owl2.ecore [2] for ATL transformations)
[ATL] Transformation to OWL2 functional-style syntax: is owl2.ecore proper for this task? [message #823619] Sun, 18 March 2012 16:14 Go to next message
Jaroslav K. is currently offline Jaroslav K.Friend
Hello, dear team,

I'm interesting in SBVR to OWL (especially - OWL2) transformation and have made a simple ATL transformation, which is able to transform some basic SBVR concepts (in XMI format) to the OWL (in XMI format, which next is converted to the OWL file).

For this transformation I used:

• sbvr.ecore (OMG suggested).
  • owl.ecore: from UML2OWL example [1] to get owl_1.xmi, which can be transformed to the owl_1.owl (similar as in the mentioned UML2OWL example).

The questions are:

• W3C suggested owl2.ecore ("official" OWL2 metamodel [2]) is completely different. For a newbie the owl2.ecore looks very "thin": there are no class names, no other attributes.
  • OWL2 has several syntaxes (Manchester, OWL/XML, Functional, ...). Which OWL2 metamodel should I use to transform SBVR to the OWL2 functional-style (Functional) syntax? Maybe I try to use ATL not for what it is suit best or use not the right metamodel?

Don't understand incorrectly: there is no need to obtain result (OWL2) in functional-style syntax. The aim is to get OWL2. After that I can use a great work (OWL Syntax Converter [3]) of the team from University of Manchester (API/WebService) to convert to the syntax I (or someone else) will need.

Thank you very much for your time and answers.

Sincerely
Jaroslav K.

--
References:
1. www.eclipse.org/m2m/atl/atlTransformations/#UML2OWL
2. owl2.googlecode.com/files/owl2.ecore
3. owl.cs.manchester.ac.uk/converter/
Re: [ATL] Transformation to OWL2 functional-style syntax: is owl2.ecore proper for this task? [message #824139 is a reply to message #823619] Mon, 19 March 2012 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
William Piers is currently offline William PiersFriend
Hello,

You should ask on M2M forum instead of M2T.

About your issue:
I don't know a lot about this ATL transformation but I guess that the OWL.ecore metamodel might be out of date. You will probably have to adapt the existing transformation to the correct metamodel (which seems to be the OWL2.ecore recommended by W3C, as this one is supported by the converter if I understood correctly).

Best regards
Re: [ATL] Transformation to OWL2 functional-style syntax: is owl2.ecore proper for this task? [message #829072 is a reply to message #824139] Sun, 25 March 2012 20:39 Go to previous message
Jaroslav K. is currently offline Jaroslav K.Friend
Hello Mr. Wiliam,

thank you very much for your answer and sorry for not right place to ask: it really should be in M2M section as it was intended to be. Noticed wrong section only after your replay. The first post did not saved because of browser session timeout, so, after that (I guess) I choose not right forum in rush.

According to the ecore metamodels: owl.ecore corresponds to the first specification of the OWL ontology language; owl2.ecore should correspond the second version.

The strange situation there is: owl.ecore looks like much more plentiful in comparison to the owl2.ecore. As an example: "Class" entity in owl2.ecore has no "name" property. Maybe it should be expressed as entity IRI?

--
P.S. should I ask forum administrators to move this thread to the M2M section? Thank you and sorry for my inadvertence.
Previous Topic:Henshin how to create multiple NAC
Next Topic:[ATL] The generate atl plugin works differently from atl configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:50:08 GMT 2024