Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » Group UI element suggestions
Group UI element suggestions [message #823587] Sun, 18 March 2012 15:08 Go to next message
Roded Bahat is currently offline Roded BahatFriend
Hi,
I have a couple of suggestions regarding the group UI element.
a) The Group element's label property is required. I think the option of using a Group just to group elements together (without giving them a title) would be useful.
b) The Section's collapsible property is great for hiding elements from an editor page till the user requests otherwise. Though I find sections too dominant in the editor when used under other sections.
I think implementing the same collapsible property for the Group element (Sapphire's infrastructure permitting of course) would allow a more streamlined user interface.
Just thoughts.
Roded
Re: Group UI element suggestions [message #824495 is a reply to message #823587] Mon, 19 March 2012 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Quote:
a) The Group element's label property is required. I think the option of using a Group just to group elements together (without giving them a title) would be useful.

This should be fine assuming SWT allows this for the relevant control. Please open a bug report and I will investigate the feasibility.

Quote:
b) The Section's collapsible property is great for hiding elements from an editor page till the user requests otherwise. Though I find sections too dominant in the editor when used under other sections.
I think implementing the same collapsible property for the Group element (Sapphire's infrastructure permitting of course) would allow a more streamlined user interface.

This one is more open-ended. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but this isn't something that could be done quickly. Sapphire Group part is backed by SWT Group control which is in turn backed by a corresponding native control. None of these native controls have ability to collapse/expand. Now, a good question to ask is why we have a differentiation between Section and Group at sdef level at all. There are really pretty close at logical level with different presentations that have slighly different capabilities. I can see joining the two concepts and providing multiple presentations. This would open the door for creating a custom-draw presentation similar to the Group control, but with collapse/expand capability.

If you'd like to open an exploratory enhancement request on this, we can see where it takes us...
Re: Group UI element suggestions [message #825395 is a reply to message #824495] Tue, 20 March 2012 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roded Bahat is currently offline Roded BahatFriend
I like the way you put it.
a) 374821
b) 374826

Thanks, your work is much obliged.
Roded
Re: Group UI element suggestions [message #825407 is a reply to message #825395] Tue, 20 March 2012 20:18 Go to previous message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Contributing patches to the project is the best way to say thank you and to ensure that the project continues to grow. New contributors are always welcome. Care to take a stab at 374821?
Previous Topic:Editor reference from a model element
Next Topic:tool palette action override
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:58:32 GMT 2024