Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Eclipse RCP product customization
Eclipse RCP product customization [message #823075] Sat, 17 March 2012 19:08 Go to next message
Musical Developer is currently offline Musical DeveloperFriend
We are facing a situation where we are packaging an eclipse rcp.

To support, muti-user usage, we have allowed user-specific workspace creation, using:

osgi.instance.area.default=@user.home/app_name/version_num

version number (specified in the .product file in the main plugin) is being used to distinguish between older workspaces...

The goal is to delete the older workspaces during a new launch of a just installed product.

For that I seem to be needing two things:

-product version number (that currently sits in the aboutText branding property)
-doing this deletion only once (the first launch of a new installation)

So, my question is:

1. From the IProductConstants I am not able to find a property called "aboutVersion"
just like "aboutText", so how do I then get the version_num at runtime? This will help me create a path to the older workspace which I can then delete...

2. How do I detect the first launch of a newly installed product...is there support in the API already?

If not, my current idea is to have a preference (Defaulted) and then change it ...that sort of simulates the first launch detection....

3. Am I on the right track, is this a recommended way of dealing with the above problem?

-MD
Re: Eclipse RCP product customization [message #824240 is a reply to message #823075] Mon, 19 March 2012 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis is currently offline Brian de AlwisFriend
You need to get the IProduct instance via Platform.getProduct().

There's no API that I'm aware of for checking first-load, but you can easily write your own check in your IApplciation class using the preferences.
Re: Eclipse RCP product customization [message #824298 is a reply to message #823075] Mon, 19 March 2012 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Musical Developer is currently offline Musical DeveloperFriend
Thanks for your prompt reply Brian.

So, before posting here, I did try (what Brian has suggested). On application launch, I am able to retrieve the version number (using some textual parsing of aboutText property) using the getBrandingProperty() method defined in IApplicationContext.

My followup questions related to this are:

1. The version number that gets transferred to "aboutText" property in plugin.xml when I hit synchronize on the App.product "overview" gui, is that available as a separate property by default?

As of now, the only properties that are default available seem to be:

ABOUT_IMAGE, ABOUT_TEXT,APP_NAME and others but no version number...

2. So, I tried a workaround for this defining my own property (in the runtime.products extension) in plugin.xml called "VersionNumber"

This works fine since I am able to retrieve this in getBrandingProperty("VersionNumber") during application launch...but I am having to enter the version number manually in plugin.xml

But, I am wondering if I can specify (linkage) for "Version" in App.product and the corressponding "VersionNumber" property (that I have defined) in plugin.xml

3. Basically, I would like to change the version number in the App.product "overview" gui, then hit "synchronize", this should ideally transfer the
version number to both following positions in plugin.xml:

1. aboutText property (this is happening by default)
2. "VersionNumber" property (not happening)

Without this linkage, I would then need to change the version number in two locations
before exporting product...(would like to avoid that)

4. Also, as an aside, I noticed that the .eclipseproduct (after exporting the product) that is created contains the version of the launcher plugin. Is that by design, I would think it should contain the version number specified in App.product, no?

[Updated on: Mon, 19 March 2012 14:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse RCP product customization [message #1819293 is a reply to message #824298] Sun, 12 January 2020 09:25 Go to previous message
Zhendong Li is currently offline Zhendong LiFriend
I have the same problem as you. Have you made any progress
Previous Topic:Lock Folder Windows 10
Next Topic:Should EvaluationReference execute PropertyChangeEvent within runExternalCode?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:44:05 GMT 2024