Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » Riena Software Update
Riena Software Update [message #9212] Tue, 02 September 2008 13:17 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: beat.strasser.inventage.com

Hi there

Does Riena implement a software update mechanism at the moment? The
project proposal says that Riena is or will be based on Equinox and
Maynstall. As far as I know, the *RCP API* for Equinox P2 will only be
available in Eclipse 3.5.

I can't find any additional information about provisioning with Riena.
Are users supposed to use the classic eclipse update framework?

Thanks for any hint,
Beat
Re: Riena Software Update [message #10211 is a reply to message #9212] Wed, 03 September 2008 11:11 Go to previous message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
The proposal was written roughly one year ago.

We havnt yet implemented yet ourselves for provisioning but we plan to. Currently one of our committers Stefan Liebig is
also committer of P2 which is the base software update framework. P2 however is not the classical update framework with
update sites (which you probably mean) but the NEW update framework that came with 3.4 and is part of the 3.4. release
kit of Eclipse. Its true that there is no official API for P2 meaning that it can still change. But P2 exists in 3.4 and
can be used.

Whether we just use plain P2 or also use Maynstall is something we decide once we start building support for it. The key
are I believe the objectives to have a highly optimized update process for very frequent software updates. So things
like only download only modified components, create binary diffs, optimize also for mobile connections like GPRS, UMTS,
Edge is where we want to get to (whatever has to be done). That implies that it is impossible to just download the whole
application completly everytime something changes. So the objectives havnt changed. And we plan to have support in Riena
for this and not only point you to another framework.

No timeplan yet for that and that might not make into the first release due to other more pressing requirements.

hope that answers your question.

What is your usecase for using Riena ? What is the timeplan until when you like have a productive app if there is such a
timeplan yet ? Any specific requirements that you have for provision that you can share ?

regards
christian campo

Beat Strasser schrieb:
> Hi there
>
> Does Riena implement a software update mechanism at the moment? The
> project proposal says that Riena is or will be based on Equinox and
> Maynstall. As far as I know, the *RCP API* for Equinox P2 will only be
> available in Eclipse 3.5.
>
> I can't find any additional information about provisioning with Riena.
> Are users supposed to use the classic eclipse update framework?
>
> Thanks for any hint,
> Beat
Re: Riena Software Update [message #574227 is a reply to message #9212] Wed, 03 September 2008 11:11 Go to previous message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
The proposal was written roughly one year ago.

We havnt yet implemented yet ourselves for provisioning but we plan to. Currently one of our committers Stefan Liebig is
also committer of P2 which is the base software update framework. P2 however is not the classical update framework with
update sites (which you probably mean) but the NEW update framework that came with 3.4 and is part of the 3.4. release
kit of Eclipse. Its true that there is no official API for P2 meaning that it can still change. But P2 exists in 3.4 and
can be used.

Whether we just use plain P2 or also use Maynstall is something we decide once we start building support for it. The key
are I believe the objectives to have a highly optimized update process for very frequent software updates. So things
like only download only modified components, create binary diffs, optimize also for mobile connections like GPRS, UMTS,
Edge is where we want to get to (whatever has to be done). That implies that it is impossible to just download the whole
application completly everytime something changes. So the objectives havnt changed. And we plan to have support in Riena
for this and not only point you to another framework.

No timeplan yet for that and that might not make into the first release due to other more pressing requirements.

hope that answers your question.

What is your usecase for using Riena ? What is the timeplan until when you like have a productive app if there is such a
timeplan yet ? Any specific requirements that you have for provision that you can share ?

regards
christian campo

Beat Strasser schrieb:
> Hi there
>
> Does Riena implement a software update mechanism at the moment? The
> project proposal says that Riena is or will be based on Equinox and
> Maynstall. As far as I know, the *RCP API* for Equinox P2 will only be
> available in Eclipse 3.5.
>
> I can't find any additional information about provisioning with Riena.
> Are users supposed to use the classic eclipse update framework?
>
> Thanks for any hint,
> Beat
Previous Topic:Riena Software Update
Next Topic:Using Riena and JodaTime
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:54:15 GMT 2024