Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » Data flows in BPMN 2.0 Modeler
icon5.gif  Data flows in BPMN 2.0 Modeler [message #821406] Thu, 15 March 2012 10:14 Go to next message
Henning Losert is currently offline Henning LosertFriend
Hi there,

I just checked out the most recent modeler code from git (master branch) to see the current status of the editor.

I noticed that many of the features for visualizing data flows have gone missing (data association, data object etc.). These were present in an earlier version that I checked (around September 2011), though only in rudimentary form back then.
Did I just miss something or are they gone on purpose?

How would I model data flow between tasks in a spec-compliant way using the current modeler?

Additionally, I would like to know if there are any plans concerning modeling and visualizing data flows in the BPMN2 diagrams in the near future (next 2-3 months). This would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards
Henning Losert
Re: Data flows in BPMN 2.0 Modeler [message #835020 is a reply to message #821406] Mon, 02 April 2012 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

Hi Henning,

Looks like an omission. Please add comments to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=375862 as you see fit.

Thanks!
Bob
Re: Data flows in BPMN 2.0 Modeler [message #871012 is a reply to message #821406] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Bob,

thanks a lot for the great work on the BPMN 2.0 Modeler so far. I just got around to checking out the latest version from git today and it looks great so far.

First off, I'm currently working on a project with BPMN2 data flow aspects and for that I need an editor to create process definitions with spec compliant data flow in them. I know I could use the BPMN2 tree editor from the org.eclipse.bpmn2.editor package but that becomes very annoying very quickly. So I gave the BPMN 2.0 Modeler a try (without the jBPM5 profile).

I like the consistent handling of DataStore and DataObject a lot, just a few niggles I still have:

In the property sheet of e.g. Task in section I/O parameters I see no way of specifying the type of the created DataInputs/Outputs (set the itemSubjectRef to some ItemDefinition).

The parameter mapping is really confusing right now. I don't see a (straightforward) way to map a DataInput/Output to a DataObject. (I guess I could use an Assignment or a Transformation for that, but that would require me to manually write some e.g. XPath expression)
There should be an option "Map to DataObject" that works similarly to "Map to a Property".

And, maybe related to this, I don't see a way to visualize DataAssociations on the diagram.

I actually have a usage scenario in mind how the data flows could be modeled from a user's perspective:
- I create a Task t1 on the diagram
- I create a DataObject d1 on the diagram
- I set the type of d1 to some pre-existing or newly created ItemDefinition
- I drag a DataAssociation from d1 to t1
- Now the editor should look for compatible DataInputs in t1's InputOutputSpecification and offer to map to one of those or, if none were found, offer to create a new DataInput in t1
(- The other way around, dragging a DataAssociation from t1 to d1, should work similarly just with DataOutputs)

I have no idea how much work this is, but I think it would be a huge step towards more spec coverage and usability when dealing with data.

Should I open an enhancement bugzilla for this?

Thanks again for the great work, it is much appreciated.

Regards
Henning
Re: Data flows in BPMN 2.0 Modeler [message #871727 is a reply to message #871012] Mon, 14 May 2012 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

Hi Henning,

Thanks for the kind words Smile

The editor is still in its infancy and any recommendations/suggestions for improving it are greatly appreciated. The suggestions you made shouldn't be too difficult to add and could probably be completed in a couple of days (if only I had the time Wink).

Please create a bugzilla to track this enhancement request here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=BPMN2Modeler

Cheers!
Bob
Re: Data flows in BPMN 2.0 Modeler [message #871978 is a reply to message #871727] Tue, 15 May 2012 08:37 Go to previous message
Done: bugzilla ID 379504
(sorry, can't post links yet...)

Kind regards
Henning
Previous Topic:BPMN2 Modeler and BPEL dependency
Next Topic:Couldn't get BPMN2.0-modeler to install
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:53:29 GMT 2024