Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file
Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #819764] Tue, 13 March 2012 09:52 Go to next message
Yugi Muto is currently offline Yugi MutoFriend
Hello,

when I right click on a .uml file, I haven't the context item "Initialize papyrus diagram".

How to initialize a papyrus diagram from an UML file?

Thank you.

I use Papyrus 0.8.2 on Eclipse 3.7.1.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 March 2012 10:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from a UML file [message #819803 is a reply to message #819764] Tue, 13 March 2012 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi Chris

It's far from obvious; it fooled me too; Papyrus has a different way of
doing things.

You need to learn to use the Model Explorer View to exploit Papyrus.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 13/03/2012 09:52, Chris Redfield wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when I right click on a .uml file, I haven't the context item
> "Initialize papyrus diagram".
>
> How to initialize a papyrus diagram from an UML file?
>
> Thank you.
>
> I use Papyrus 0.8.2 on Eclipse 3.7.1.
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from a UML file [message #820701 is a reply to message #819803] Wed, 14 March 2012 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes you are right.
On Eclipse, I use the "Project Explorer" view.
On the Papyrus User Guide, they use the "Model Explorer" view.
So, I need to use the "Model Explorer" view to get this context menu and the "Initialize papyrus diagram" item.

If I open the .uml file from the "Project Explorer", I see "No Model Available" in the "Model Explorer" view.
If I open the .di file from the "Project Explorer", I see the model tree in the "Model Explorer" view.

But I have not exactly the same content as in the Papyrus User Guide.
On the Papyrus User Guide, they can explore the files and they have the context menu and the "Initialize papyrus diagram" item.

I see we can customize the "Model Explorer", in "Customize View..." but "Filters" are empty and "Content" contains only these 2 items:
-UML Model Contents
-Model Contents

It's probably the reason why I can't explore the files and have the "Initialize papyrus diagram" item from the context menu.

On the Papyrus User Guide there are more options to customize :
-Filters
|--*.class resources
-Content
|--UML Logical View
|--Resources

How can I get all of these customize options?

Thank you.
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from a UML file [message #821336 is a reply to message #819803] Thu, 15 March 2012 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok.
I can't find the "Initialize Papyrus diagram" item in any view.
See the screenshots attached.

How to initialize a papyrus diagram from an UML file?
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from a UML file [message #825525 is a reply to message #821336] Tue, 20 March 2012 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cristina Murillo is currently offline Cristina MurilloFriend
Hi,

I have also been trying to do the same, but I have your problem as well, I can not find the "Initialize Papyrus diagram". Have you solved your issue?

Thank you.
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from a UML file [message #825806 is a reply to message #825525] Wed, 21 March 2012 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I am unable to initialize a diagram from an UML file with Papyrus Sad

This feature works only on UML2 Tools (Papyrus and TOPCASED don't let me generate the diagram). The problem is that UML2 Tools doesn't support reply messages in sequence diagrams.

If you find a way to do this with Papyrus, don't forget to contact me Wink
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from a UML file [message #842698 is a reply to message #821336] Thu, 12 April 2012 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Federico Toledo is currently offline Federico ToledoFriend
Hi,

I am also trying with this ... but I dont even have the options that you showed in the print screens you sent, for the package explorer for example, I dont have the options initialize class diagram / use case diagram ... etc. They belong to Papyrus, right?

perhaps an instalation problem? different versions or sth?

thnk you in advance
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #843598 is a reply to message #819764] Fri, 13 April 2012 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the "Initialize class diagram", "Initialize use case diagram", ... options are UML2 Tools options.

But Papyrus should come with the "Initialize papyrus diagram" option (as we can see on the tutorial screenshots). However, this option isn't available when I install Papyrus...

For the moment UML2 Tools is the only modeling tool that can correctly generate an UML diagram from an UML model (Papyrus and TOPCASED failed to do this).
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #843902 is a reply to message #843598] Fri, 13 April 2012 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah ok, thank you
but... I didn't consider UML2Tools because it is discontinued, isn't it?

I continued trying and I found a workaround:

If you are in the package explorer and select your UML file, and right-click it, go to new -> Papyrus Model. Select UML, and in my case I want to work with class diagrams.
After that, the new .di is open, and you can go to Model Explorer view, and there you have all the elements of the UML model. As I told you I want to work with class diagrams, so I created one, and then DnD classes to it.
I am still testing it ... but it seems that it works.

I am using the night build of a couple of days ago

Hope it helps, and I hope it works every day even better Smile
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #844714 is a reply to message #843902] Sat, 14 April 2012 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know if it is discontinued (my UML2 Tools version is 0.10.0 from 2011 so it is not so old) but it's true that some features like the "reply message" in the "sequence diagram" are not supported yet... This feature works on Papyrus and Topcased, so UML2 Tools has some important missing features... So we can suppose that UML2 Tools is discontinued...

I follow your instructions and it's true we can see in the Model Explorer view, all the elements of the UML Model. But I can't Drag and Drop the elements in the diagram because the window is grey... This window should be white to be allowed to DnD into it...

Anyway thank you for this tip, maybe it can help to find a correct solution.

[Updated on: Sat, 14 April 2012 09:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #845043 is a reply to message #844714] Sat, 14 April 2012 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you try adding a new class model diagram? it is required in order to do that... It's like inside the "diagram" you need to create a new class diagram (for me this is kind of confusing ... but it works like that...
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #846613 is a reply to message #845043] Mon, 16 April 2012 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In fact, I do these steps :
1)select the UML file
2)right-click it
3)go to New -> Papyrus Model
4)select UML
5)I have not chosen to work with class diagrams, instead of, I just click "next" then "finish"

If I chose "UML Class Diagram" then I click on "next" then "finish", at the step 5), the wizard window doesn't close and stay open!
So, I prefer to don't choose "UML Class Diagram" but my diagram window is grey... I can't DnD.
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #847467 is a reply to message #846613] Tue, 17 April 2012 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have this problem, but anyway after you get to the grey windows, right click and new class diagram
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #865294 is a reply to message #847467] Mon, 30 April 2012 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cristina Murillo is currently offline Cristina MurilloFriend
Hi!

Thanks! This was really useful, I was able to generate the diagram from the uml file as well!!

I also got the grey window, but as Federico said, if on the Model Explorer you right-click, you can select add a new diagram and after this, you are able to drag and drop in it.

I encountered the same problem about the wizard staying open if I add the new diagram, so I just skip adding it here, and I proceed as described before.

Regards,
Cristina
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #1059154 is a reply to message #865294] Fri, 17 May 2013 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junfeng Zhao is currently offline Junfeng ZhaoFriend
Hi,
according to the steps above, a class diagram can be created and classes in uml model can be dnd. But when drag a class to the class diagram, the existing relationships between classes can not be displayed even if I click "show related association relationships" command. I think the relationships should be diaplayed automactially when drag a class to the class diagram, so we can analysis the realtionship between the discovered classes better. who can resovle the confusion for me, thank you!
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #1059177 is a reply to message #1059154] Fri, 17 May 2013 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

try to go to "filters" and look for an option related with filter relations and properties.
I agree with you, the default should be "show everything" and then the user could filter the things that s/he does not want to see....
Re: Initialize papyrus diagram from an UML file [message #1059313 is a reply to message #1059177] Fri, 17 May 2013 13:35 Go to previous message
Junfeng Zhao is currently offline Junfeng ZhaoFriend
Thank for your reply. There exist six command in the filters shortcut menu, including three commands related to connector label and the other three related to content and compartment. the configuration to these options is nothing to do with the problem mentioned before. I wonder whether the need mentioned before by me could be realized by papyrus.
Previous Topic:Extending the SysML Datamodel
Next Topic:(Programmatically) auto-generate Class-Diagram from existing UML-Model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:27:39 GMT 2024