Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » LTTng 2.0
LTTng 2.0 [message #819337] Mon, 12 March 2012 19:54 Go to next message
Francois Chouinard is currently offline Francois ChouinardFriend
Hello everyone.

We are in the process of restructuring the LTTng plug-ins for v2.0 wghich is planned for Juno. For those of you interested, the work is being tracked in https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=374002.

Our goal is to do one last release of the legacy LTTng with the Linux Tools 0.10 (scheduled for March/26) and then move to the new structure for Juno.

Best Regards,
/fc
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #836487 is a reply to message #819337] Wed, 04 April 2012 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ryan K is currently offline Ryan KFriend
Does LTTng of the Nightly Linux Tools support any CTF parsing as of yet?
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #838076 is a reply to message #836487] Fri, 06 April 2012 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The new LTTng structure is in place but only partly populated. The generic CTF parser is in there as well as the new State System (the generic part)

However, only the some basic views are working for now (Events, Histogram). The kernel trace analysis stuff (Control Flow, Resources) is not there yet since we have to plug it into the new State System. This is what we are currently working on as well as the "new and improved" tracer control.

If you want to test drive it, the more annoying part is that the project handling part is not in place yet. If needed, let us know as it could be done shortly.

Regards,
/fc
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #838142 is a reply to message #838076] Fri, 06 April 2012 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xavier Raynaud is currently offline Xavier RaynaudFriend
I'm interested too Smile
I've seen the screenshots in the wiki, and its seems promizing.

Xavier
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #840195 is a reply to message #838076] Mon, 09 April 2012 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I will test drive what you have so far. Just let me know when it's ready and where to get the latest version. (presumably from the nightly?)
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #847701 is a reply to message #840195] Tue, 17 April 2012 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

After a bit of cleanup, the CTF code finally made it in the master branch and the nightly build (P2 repo: http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/updates-nightly).

As mentioned before, only the basic views work for now (Events, Histogram, Statistics, Project). The others are a work-in-progress as we are fitting the kernel analysis views to our new state system management.

If you installed the LTTng 2.0 tracer on your target system (which can be your main system), you can create your own traces. Info for trace control and collection can be found here: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Linux_Tools_Project/LTTng/User_Guide#LTTng_Tracer_Control_.28LTTng_Tracer_Toolchain_v2.0.29.

If you don't have CTF traces handy or don't want to instrument your system, we could provide some samples on demand.

Before opening a trace you have to specify its type so the correct parser is used to process it, in this case the CTF parser. This can be done e.g. at import time by selecting "LTTng -> LTTng 2.0 Kernel Type" as the trace type. The trace icon should change to a penguin. Opening the trace (select and press "Enter" in the Project view) should populate the views immediately.

If you try to assign the legacy format parser ("LTTng -> Kernel Trace"), you will get an immediate error.

Hope this helps. For more info/clarifications, please consult the wiki/user guide (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Linux_Tools_Project/LTTng/User_Guide) or simply post a question.

Regards,
/fc

Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #849871 is a reply to message #847701] Thu, 19 April 2012 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fc:

I got it installed, but I'm having a problem. I used the latest LTTng tracer to capture the trace, and babeltrace can parse it just fine.

My procedure
==========================
1.) Traces > Import ...
- Select the source directory
- Select the Trace Type
> Finish
2.) Create experiment
- Select imported trace as part of experiment
3.) Double-click or press ENTER

Results
==========================
1.) Error log is focused and prints:
org.eclipse.linuxtools.ctf.core.trace.Metadata@1433fd1
2.) Views do not appear automatically (maybe that's not what you mean by populated)
3.) The information in the views doesn't look correct (see screenshots).

I have attached a tar.xz archive of the trace split into two parts. You can rejoin the archive by:

cat trace11.p* > trace11.tar.xz

• Attachment: trace11.p1
    (Size: 2.00MB, Downloaded 466 times)
  • Attachment: trace11.p2
    (Size: 1.16MB, Downloaded 436 times)
  • Attachment: screenshots.zip
    (Size: 53.25KB, Downloaded 362 times)
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #850241 is a reply to message #849871] Thu, 19 April 2012 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Khouzam is currently offline Matthew KhouzamFriend

Hi,
I was looking at the trace, aand first off, thank you very much for the feedback. Your trace obviously contains more than two events.
I can see a few issues needing to be fixed and will get right to them.

expect a patch soon, if you are in a rush, I can send you the updates as they come.
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #851031 is a reply to message #850241] Fri, 20 April 2012 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't say I'm in a rush, but I'll help on the testing end if it helps speed this project up. We are working on a major project that this will be used on as development work ramps up.
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #854320 is a reply to message #819337] Mon, 23 April 2012 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I believe I have solved the issue, the patch should be in the tree in a day or so. Smile

The issue was that I tested the system using traces of a 32 bit simple system. When a 64 bit trace is created, it has different alignments, and therefore, once your bitstream is no longer aligned, the parser gets lost and throws a metric boatload of exceptions.

I can send you a patch if you need it sooner.

Here is a shot of the working eclipse.

Thanks for the trace.

[Updated on: Mon, 23 April 2012 22:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #855142 is a reply to message #854320] Tue, 24 April 2012 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Matthew. I'll check this out later this week.

A little off-topic, but I was wondering... do you know if LTTng traces contain enough information for calculating cpu usage and mem usage for each process or thread? I'd like to capture this information in order to display graphically.
Re: LTTng 2.0 [message #856314 is a reply to message #855142] Wed, 25 April 2012 14:58 Go to previous message

With a state system, yes CPU usage can be done.
The reason: process 0 == swapper == idle. So whenever you're not in 0, you're running the CPU.
For memory it's more complicated. The reason: Shared memory, we can trace every malloc and free, and we can know the initial memory usage, but I would suggest using a UST tracer to poll your memory usage.
I think some people at Suse are working on a similar project. Check out the lttng-dev mailing list, they have more info.
Previous Topic:"Hello World C++ Project" on Mac OS X
Next Topic:How to build Eclipse in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:10:44 GMT 2024