Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Why are web editors read-only?(editors don't edit, just view)
Why are web editors read-only? [message #817147] Fri, 09 March 2012 17:56 Go to next message
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this so please redirect me if I'm in the wrong place.

Several weeks ago, I installed Web Page Editor. [I'm running Eclipse 3.7.1 on Windows XP SP3 (32-bit)]. I don't recall any error messages but the details are getting hazy. Upon trying Web Page Editor, I found that I could view my HTML and CSS documents and the documents were nicely color-coded as you'd expect with a good editor. But when I clicked on the document in the editor and tried to edit, it refused to accept any input whatever. I couldn't insert even a single blank character or delete a character or overtype a character. It stubbornly refused to let me edit at all. I fiddled with preferences and made sure that my file extensions - most of my files have an .shtml extension - were associated with the Web Page Editor. None of that helped though.

I tried removing Web Page Editor and installing the whole WTP package. The same thing happened: I could view my documents and they seemed properly formatted but I couldn't edit at all. I installed Web Page Editor alongside WTP. No improvement. I did various experiments to get the editors to edit but nothing worked. I didn't have the patience to mess with it any more and just edited my files in my old editor.

Today, I tried again and got the same behaviour. If I open the file in the editor, I can only read it but not change it. There has to be a sensible explanation for this, like a setting that I need to change or a pre-requisite that I need to install, so I'm asking today in the hope that you can help me get one or the other (or both) of WTP or Web Page Editor to actually edit my HTML and CSS.

I'm really just editing HTML and CSS documents for now although more advanced needs may materialize in due course. I've been lead to believe that Web Page Editor is all I really need for that purpose and that WTP is overkill for my immediate needs but I'm quite willing to go for the overkill as long as I can get the key functionality - the ability to edit rather than just view HTML and CSS documents - to work.

So, what do I do to get this working?
Re: Why are web editors read-only? [message #817176 is a reply to message #817147] Fri, 09 March 2012 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Can you elaborate about the files you're opening? Are they under source
control? On a remote system? In a .jar, even? Are you able to open
and modify them with the plain Text Editor or the HTML Editor (different
from the Web Page Editor)? Are they marked as read-only in the
filesystem, or when you open the Properties dialog for the file from the
Navigator or Project Explorer views?

---
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse WTP Source Editing and JSDT
IBM Rational

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Why are web editors read-only? [message #817242 is a reply to message #817176] Fri, 09 March 2012 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
The files in question are not under source control and they are on my local computer. I've been using HTML-Kit for a few years now, even though it is not under development any more. I simply copied some HTML and CSS files from one of the folders where I keep these things on one of my hard drives. They are all standalone files and are not in any kind of jar or zip or tar file. I can edit them fine in the Text Editor within Eclipse. I can't edit with HTML Editor or XML Editor though. The files are not marked read-only in the file system. The properties dialog shows the files to have the archive box checked but NOT the read-only box.
Re: Why are web editors read-only? [message #819936 is a reply to message #817242] Tue, 13 March 2012 14:13 Go to previous message
David Carver is currently offline David CarverFriend
You will probably want to open a bug report, and along with that bug report, attach some files or a project that can be used to replicate the issue. That is probably going to be the best way to proceed forward.
Previous Topic:Output directory for Javascript
Next Topic:no static resources in running tomcat
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:13:41 GMT 2024