Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » RCP and Database
RCP and Database [message #817026] Fri, 09 March 2012 14:45 Go to next message
Chimbu Aravind is currently offline Chimbu AravindFriend
hi,

I need to write an rcp program which uses a database to store some data and then later show the data to the user as a report.

For the reporting part I was thinking of using BIRT. However for the DB access part am confused which solution to use. What is the difference between EclipseLink and DataToolsPlatform (DTP)? Are they kind of doing the same?

regards

chimbu
Re: RCP and Database [message #817055 is a reply to message #817026] Fri, 09 March 2012 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thorsten Schlathölter is currently offline Thorsten SchlathölterFriend
EclipseLink is an object-relational mapper that is used to retrieve and save java objects into a relational database. It is based on the former TopLink persistence framework. DTP is a platform that provides tools to access and manage databases. It enables you to connect to databases edit and fire sql, stored procs etc.

So both could be interesting for you. If you want to write a plugin that stores and retrieves data to and from a database go for EclipseLink. If you already have your data in a database and you need to maintain it on SQL Level while using BIRT for reporting, than DTP is probably the right.
Re: RCP and Database [message #818273 is a reply to message #817055] Sun, 11 March 2012 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Libor Jelinek is currently offline Libor JelinekFriend

I smell flame war here Smile

We don't use EclipseLink either Data tools because of it's complexity. I recommend to check out MyBatis that is much easier to grasp.
Re: RCP and Database [message #818915 is a reply to message #818273] Mon, 12 March 2012 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thorsten Schlathölter is currently offline Thorsten SchlathölterFriend
No problem. I don't use any of those either. I use Oracle SqlDeveloper and Hibernate Wink. But those are comparably complex.
Re: RCP and Database [message #819650 is a reply to message #818915] Tue, 13 March 2012 06:53 Go to previous message
Chimbu Aravind is currently offline Chimbu AravindFriend
Thanks guys..

I will try out these options..
Previous Topic:Customizing Toolbar Views
Next Topic:How to create global actions with dynamic label and enablent
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 13:27:27 GMT 2024