Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Riena » Riena documentation update(The Riena documentation could use a little update)
Riena documentation update [message #816018] Thu, 08 March 2012 10:21 Go to next message
Uwe San is currently offline Uwe SanFriend
Hi all,

my impression is that some parts of the Riena documentation are slightly out of date.

For instance, most (many/all?) example snippets at wiki.eclipse.org/Riena/Snippets do not show the usage of the binding IDs when creating widgets using the UIControlsFactory.

And the navigation examples at wiki.eclipse.org/Riena/Navigation show the "org.eclipse.riena.navigation.assemblies" extension point ID but do not mention the "org.eclipse.riena.navigation.assemblies2" extension point.

For me as a Riena newbie, this has lead to some confusion.
Did I overlook anything or is the documentation not in sync with the current state of Riena?

Apart from that, I like Riena a lot. Smile

Keep up the great work,
Uwe
Re: Riena documentation update [message #816032 is a reply to message #816018] Thu, 08 March 2012 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Am 08.03.12 11:21, schrieb Uwe San:
> Hi all,
>
> my impression is that some parts of the Riena documentation are slightly out of date.
> For instance, most (many/all?) example snippets at wiki.eclipse.org/Riena/Snippets do not show the usage of the binding
> IDs when creating widgets using the UIControlsFactory.
>
> And the navigation examples at wiki.eclipse.org/Riena/Navigation show the "org.eclipse.riena.navigation.assemblies"
> extension point ID but do not mention the "org.eclipse.riena.navigation.assemblies2" extension point.
>
> For me as a Riena newbie, this has lead to some confusion.
> Did I overlook anything or is the documentation not in sync with the current state of Riena?
>
> Apart from that, I like Riena a lot. :)
>
> Keep up the great work,
> Uwe

I could argue that the samples still work but that there is one than one way to do the same thing. :-)

For instance you can set the binding id in the data of the SWT widget manually, or use the UIControlsFactory. The way to
do this has developed. We havnt come around to change all the many many views that we have to the newest way of doing
things (and the old stuff still works). So you will also find views in the example client that dont use the
UIControlsFactory with the binding id.

Similar you can call getRidget either by getRidget("id") or getRidget("id",ITextRidget.class). Both are valid. The
second gives you the benefit to write controller tests without UI, since the controller gives a hint about the expected
ridget type.

Assembly last not least was migrated some time ago from assembly to assembly2. True. Assembly still works.

We should have updated the doc for most of that to only reflect the newest way and not showing any of the old API.

We highly appreciate it if someone like you steps up and invest a fews hours and modifies the wiki pages that you think
are outdated. Editing the wiki pages is not a privileged task but can be done by everybody with a bugzilla account. If
you correct some of the pages you are not signing in for a long term committment but you just invest a little time. Just
what you can.

To keep track of things, it would be helpful if you open a bug. So that we can discuss and reference there what pages
are outdated and you can let us know what you changed as you progress and if you are unsure we can proof-read your
editing once it is saved.....

What do you think ?

christian

p.s. If you think a few hours is too much, start with little things like leaving a comment on outdated pages with
information what you think should be done. (Again a bug is helpful if you like to communicate and keep track of the
changes that you edit, you could post URLs of edited pages in the comments)
Re: Riena documentation update [message #816102 is a reply to message #816032] Thu, 08 March 2012 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uwe San is currently offline Uwe SanFriend
Christian, thanks for your quick reply. Now I see things a bit clearer, in particular that you're looking for support. Wink

I don't have a bugzilla account but getting one could be a good idea. I don't think I'm familiar enough with Riena yet that I can make substantial inputs to Riena components other than the docs, but contributing to the docs would give me new insights for my work with Riena. So I might give it a try.

U
Re: Riena documentation update [message #816157 is a reply to message #816102] Thu, 08 March 2012 13:46 Go to previous message
Christian Campo is currently offline Christian CampoFriend
Am 08.03.12 13:28, schrieb Uwe San:
> Christian, thanks for your quick reply. Now I see things a bit clearer, in particular that you're looking for support. ;)
>
> I don't have a bugzilla account but getting one could be a good idea. I don't think I'm familiar enough with Riena yet
> that I can make substantial inputs to Riena components other than the docs, but contributing to the docs would give me
> new insights for my work with Riena. So I might give it a try.
>
> U
If you need guidance on particular topics or review for pages that you edited, let us know.....

christian
Previous Topic:Drag and Drop with navigation elements
Next Topic:Riena and Guice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 21:17:06 GMT 2024