Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Quick question - how do you disable content assist pop ups when typing!?
Quick question - how do you disable content assist pop ups when typing!? [message #815405] Wed, 07 March 2012 16:09 Go to next message
Alex Kerr is currently offline Alex KerrFriend
When I'm entering code and type a $ to reference a PHP variable, I get a content assist pop up box alongside suddenly with a list of all the variables in my program.

It is probably the most annoying thing ever and whoever left it activating by default is not very clever. They also thought it would be fun to make it impossible to switch off. I have deactivated every possible switch and preference I can find for the way too clever Eclipse editor to stop auto completing and highlighting and popping up everything in sight and it is STILL popping up! Unbelievable!

Yes, I have been into the Window->Preferences->PHP->Editor->Content Assist and there is no option labelled "Turn this damn crap off".

PLEASE can someone tell me how to switch this *%#!###ing thing off!

Thank you.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 March 2012 16:24]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Quick question - how do you disable content assist pop ups when typing!? [message #815577 is a reply to message #815405] Wed, 07 March 2012 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lowell Montgomery is currently offline Lowell MontgomeryFriend
You should be able to turn off the auto-assist function. Simply uncheck the box labeled "Enable auto activation". Then, in order to see the "content assist" functionality (which can be handy sometimes and annoying at others, I agree), you just need to hit Ctrl-Space to get it.

Alternatively, you could increase the auto-activation delay to something which isn't as likely to interfere with your workflow.

To adjust settings for other content types, you can type "assist" in the "filter" area of the preferences window and you should be able to make similar adjustments to other editors, although it looks like you generally cannot turn it off in some of the editors.

index.php/fa/7452/0/
Re: Quick question - how do you disable content assist pop ups when typing!? [message #815578 is a reply to message #815405] Wed, 07 March 2012 20:45 Go to previous message
Lowell Montgomery is currently offline Lowell MontgomeryFriend
Hmmmph... at first my reply didn't show up, so I tried again and got a double post. Mods, please delete. Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 07 March 2012 20:46]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:PDT installation issue
Next Topic:Eclipse automaticly adds 3 resources to php projects
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:39:17 GMT 2024