Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » Issues regarding an AUT SWT is that toggles to Swing(Is "concrete" project best for an SWT application that launches Swing GUI's)
Issues regarding an AUT SWT is that toggles to Swing [message #813898] Mon, 05 March 2012 20:40 Go to next message
Robert Barnard is currently offline Robert BarnardFriend
Hello Jubula Community,

Thank you in advance for your time and direction.

Question:
I am asking the forum for information about effectively testing a mixed/blended application that uses both SWT and Swing. Is this even possible in Jubula?

Background:
I am new to Jubula but have searched the manual, guide and forum and haven't found a clear direction.

Our AUT is an SWT GUI that supports the user right-clicking and menu selecting an option that launches a Swing application (in a separate thread). Also, the user may toggle between a (graphic) chart in Swing, and the raw data represented in a grid/table in SWT.

The closest reference I've found addressing this is "Jubula User Manual > 3. Tasks > 3.4 Working with Projects", where it recommends:
Quote:
"The default toolkit is concrete. Choose this if you want to write Test Cases that can be used for different applications (e.g. for Swing and for RCP)."

If I understand this correctly, the "concrete" project provides a tool set that is common between Swing and RCP. Does this extend to SWT too?

Thank you for any information/direction you can point me to.
Re: Issues regarding an AUT SWT is that toggles to Swing [message #813923 is a reply to message #813898] Mon, 05 March 2012 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

For the toggling directly in the same application, I'm not sure that it will be possible. We don't have support for the SWT/AWT bridge (more on this in this thread). The other use case sounded promising at first because Jubula can test applications that are started by other applications during the test. However, when I went looking for the link to the documentation, I found the hint that the AUTs must both be of the same toolkit (the link is here).

You are right, in essence, that the concrete toolkit would be the correct one for testing both Swing and SWT, but I doubt whether both toolkits can be dealt with in the same test using the current version. In different, separate test suites there should be no problem. Perhaps for the second use case (where the AUT is separate), you could write completely separate test suites to test the different AUTs and start the Swing AUT in another way (i.e. not from within the SWT one) for the sake of testability. Just a suggestion...

Hope that helps,
Alex

Re: Issues regarding an AUT SWT is that toggles to Swing [message #814007 is a reply to message #813898] Mon, 05 March 2012 23:34 Go to previous message
Robert Barnard is currently offline Robert BarnardFriend
Hi Alex,

Thank you for the information and quick reply.

The thread ("...forums/index.php/t/261706/" you directed me to is interesting. I'll have to see which of these works best for our application.

It seems there may be a narrow option in section "3.12.2.1 Testing independently started AUT's" section of the Jubula User Manual says "...specified your Project at the concrete level, and will only be testing areas of the AUT's that can be tested with the actions that are valid for all AUT types". Again, I'll try it and see what happens and how far it can go.

I'll post back to this thread once I have something to contribute to this.

Again, thank you for your help.

~ Robert
Previous Topic:AUT is not recognized in Jubula
Next Topic:GEF Inspector Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:23:32 GMT 2024