Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » Install Eclipse TPTP on Ubuntu 11.10 64bits(Install Eclipse TPTP on Ubuntu 11.10 64bits)
Install Eclipse TPTP on Ubuntu 11.10 64bits [message #813558] Mon, 05 March 2012 12:31 Go to next message
FH Missing name is currently offline FH Missing nameFriend
Hi there !

Is it possible to run TPTP on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bits ? If yes, how ?

I must profile 64-bits applications written in Java, C, C++ and Fortran. I need to profile locally only.

I heard that TPTP was the Eclipse plugin that would enable such things : is this correct ? This is not clear to me : Hitchhike seems to be another Eclipse plugin that enables profiling only C and C++ applications. Does TPTP handle only Java ? Or does TPTP enables also profiling C, C++, Fortran ?

I use Eclipse :
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857
I know that TPTP is not included in Indigo but, as far as I understand, it should be possible to include TPTP in Indigo and get it run : is this correct ?

I tried to install TPTP in my existing Eclipse : impossible to make it run ! This is what I have done :

1. Try to install TPTP from "Eclipse MarketPlace" and also from "software sites" : both way didn't enable me to get TPTP. Is there a way to make it this way ? If yes, how ? (I prefer to let Eclipse do the install : this way I am sure things are done correctly ! And I don't have to care about)
  2. Compelled to install TPTP manually : download "All-In-One" package from www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/downloads/, then unzip, then add eclipse/plugin and eclipse/features to my existing Eclipse install. Note : the downloaded eclipse binary (exe) seems to be unable to run on 64-bits even if "32-bits exe should run also on 64-bits" ("./eclipse" gives "no file or directory of this type", "ldd ./eclipse" gives "not a binary file"). Is there a TPTP 64-bit version ? If yes where can I get it ? (download site seems to deliver only 32-bit version)
  3. From here, I see profiling features in Eclipse but profiling configuration are screwed by the "IWAT0435E" error (stackoverflow.com/questions/575110/how-to-solve-tptp-monitor-error-iwat0435e-in-eclipse-on-debian-based-linux). The fix proposed on stackoverflow does not work (sudo apt-get install libstdc++5).
  4. I didn't try to add an extra Agent Controller as I only need to profile locally (according to the documentation, extra agent are only needed for remote profiling). I believe the problem is not related to a missing agent : getting a solution digging this way looks like a dead end (I believe agent is contained in "All-In-One" but does not run or start).

TPTP still does not work. I still have the "IWAT0435E" error in profile configuration. Eclipse log gives :
.../workspace/.metadata > tail .log
!MESSAGE Cannot resolve IAC bundle ID org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.linux_em64t

!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2012-03-05 13:17:28.044
!MESSAGE Integrated Agent Controller(IAC) was not found. Make sure you have IAC installed.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2012-03-05 13:17:31.315

!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2012-03-05 13:17:31.316
!MESSAGE Integrated Agent Controller(IAC) was not found. Make sure you have IAC installed.

I googled this without finding any relevant way out...

Thanks for helping,

FH
Re: Install Eclipse TPTP on Ubuntu 11.10 64bits [message #813592 is a reply to message #813558] Mon, 05 March 2012 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Torsten Stolpmann is currently offline Torsten StolpmannFriend
FH Mising name wrote on Mon, 05 March 2012 07:31
Hi there !

Is it possible to run TPTP on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bits ? If yes, how ?

It is untested on this platform, but there is a good chance to get it to work. You will have to have some compatibility libraries like the later mentioned libstdc++5 installed to have this work though.

I must profile 64-bits applications written in Java, C, C++ and Fortran. I need to profile locally only.

I heard that TPTP was the Eclipse plugin that would enable such things : is this correct ? This is not clear to me : Hitchhike seems to be another Eclipse plugin that enables profiling only C and C++ applications. Does TPTP handle only Java ? Or does TPTP enables also profiling C, C++, Fortran ?

TPTP is Java only. Hitchhiker is a plugin from OC Systems which is most probably no longer supported as it seems to be relying on an ancient version of TPTP. You may want to contact OC Systems for verification though.

I use Eclipse :
Version: Indigo Service Release 2
Build id: 20120216-1857
I know that TPTP is not included in Indigo but, as far as I understand, it should be possible to include TPTP in Indigo and get it run : is this correct ?

Indigo is neither tested nor officially supported, so this may or may not work for you. You are probably better off using Helios with the TPTP 4.7.2 package.

I tried to install TPTP in my existing Eclipse : impossible to make it run ! This is what I have done :

1. Try to install TPTP from "Eclipse MarketPlace" and also from "software sites" : both way didn't enable me to get TPTP. Is there a way to make it this way ? If yes, how ? (I prefer to let Eclipse do the install : this way I am sure things are done correctly ! And I don't have to care about)[/quote]

You should avoid installing TPTP via Marketplace. If you insist on mixing Indigo with TPTP 4.7.2 I would suggest trying to extract the 4.7.2 zip archives in your eclipse installation dropins folders. Make sure to have a structure like dropins/TPTP/eclipse/(features|plugins) here.

2. Compelled to install TPTP manually : download "All-In-One" package from www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/downloads/, then unzip, then add eclipse/plugin and eclipse/features to my existing Eclipse install. Note : the downloaded eclipse binary (exe) seems to be unable to run on 64-bits even if "32-bits exe should run also on 64-bits" ("./eclipse" gives "no file or directory of this type", "ldd ./eclipse" gives "not a binary file"). Is there a TPTP 64-bit version ? If yes where can I get it ? (download site seems to deliver only 32-bit version)

3. You should be very careful about not mixing 64 and 32-bit installations. To be on the safe side use a 32-bit Eclipse with 32-bit Java for your Profiling environment and an additional local 64 bit Agent controller.

4. From here, I see profiling features in Eclipse but profiling configuration are screwed by the "IWAT0435E" error (stackoverflow.com/questions/575110/how-to-solve-tptp-monitor-error-iwat0435e-in-eclipse-on-debian-based-linux). The fix proposed on stackoverflow does not work (sudo apt-get install libstdc++5).
  5. I didn't try to add an extra Agent Controller as I only need to profile locally (according to the documentation, extra agent are only needed for remote profiling). I believe the problem is not related to a missing agent : getting a solution digging this way looks like a dead end (I believe agent is contained in "All-In-One" but does not run or start).

It is a good idea to use an external 64-Bit Agent Controller, this way you are able to profile a 64 Bit Java VM which will not work with the 32 Bit IAC.

TPTP still does not work. I still have the "IWAT0435E" error in profile configuration. Eclipse log gives :
.../workspace/.metadata > tail .log

!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2012-03-05 13:17:28.044

!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2012-03-05 13:17:31.315

!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2012-03-05 13:17:31.316

I googled this without finding any relevant way out...

Thanks for helping,

FH

I think this error results from running under a 64 Bit Java VM with the All in one 32 bit TPTP IAC.

Hope this helps to clarify some points and get you started.

Torsten
Re: Install Eclipse TPTP on Ubuntu 11.10 64bits [message #813928 is a reply to message #813558] Mon, 05 March 2012 21:24 Go to previous message
FH Missing name is currently offline FH Missing nameFriend
Torsten, thanks for your reply : it is indeed very helpful and appreciated !

The majority of applications I have to deal with are C and C++ (and the minority are Java or Fortran). I hoped TPTP may be able to handle all languages... That would have make things easier for me. As you confirmed TPTP is 32-bits only and Java only, I believe using Eclipse to profile is not a suitable solution for me : I certainly will have to fight hard to get TPTP running on Ubuntu 64-bits to profile only a few Java applications, and, I can't afford to invest time on Hitchhike if it's about to be no longer supported (I have short dead lines !).

So I will get back to gprof and valgrind for C and C++, and, I will try to handle Java and Fortran as I can when needed...

FH
Previous Topic:profiling tomcat6
Next Topic:Profiler hangs while "Connecting to the JVMTI agent"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 10:02:53 GMT 2024