Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2
Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #812756] Sun, 04 March 2012 08:36 Go to next message
Jay Huang is currently offline Jay HuangFriend
Hi all,

I have just upgraded virgo tomcat server from 3.0.2.release to 3.5.m2, also uninstalled virgo tooling milestone version and installed snapshot version.

After the upgrade, the bundle dependencies in the package explorer are empty, the dependencies are not resolved in the workspace.

this is my .classpath

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<classpath>
	<classpathentry kind="src" output="target/classes" path="src/main/java"/>
	<classpathentry kind="src" path="src/main/webapp"/>
	<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/jre6">
		<attributes>
			<attribute name="owner.project.facets" value="java"/>
		</attributes>
	</classpathentry>
	<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.virgo.ide.jdt.core.MANIFEST_CLASSPATH_CONTAINER"/>
	<classpathentry kind="output" path="target/classes"/>
</classpath>

and .project :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<projectDescription>
	<name>com.osgi.web</name>
	<comment></comment>
	<projects>
	</projects>
	<buildSpec>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.core.javascriptValidator</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.builder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javabuilder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.springframework.ide.eclipse.core.springbuilder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.wst.validation.validationbuilder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.pde.ManifestBuilder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.eclipse.pde.SchemaBuilder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
		<buildCommand>
			<name>org.maven.ide.eclipse.maven2Builder</name>
			<arguments>
			</arguments>
		</buildCommand>
	</buildSpec>
	<natures>
		<nature>org.eclipse.virgo.ide.facet.core.bundlenature</nature>
		<nature>com.springsource.server.ide.facet.core.plannature</nature>
		<nature>org.maven.ide.eclipse.maven2Nature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.virgo.ide.facet.core.plannature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.jem.workbench.JavaEMFNature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.wst.common.modulecore.ModuleCoreNature</nature>
		<nature>org.springframework.ide.eclipse.core.springnature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.jdt.core.javanature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.nature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.pde.PluginNature</nature>
		<nature>org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.core.jsNature</nature>
	</natures>
</projectDescription>

Thank you.

Jay
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #813617 is a reply to message #812756] Mon, 05 March 2012 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i finally got it working by "undoing" the VTS 3.5.M2 directories changes, changing the folder strcuture back to as per 3.0.2.release.
does the nightly snapshot version of virgo tooling not work with 3.5.0.M2? if it does, is there anything I need to do to get it working?
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #814041 is a reply to message #813617] Tue, 06 March 2012 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Hi Jay,

3.5.0 is not well supported right now, precisely because of the issue you note. Please see: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Tooling#Special_Note. We should have this one fixed soon so you could follow those bugs.

thanks for your patience,

Miles
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #814044 is a reply to message #812756] Tue, 06 March 2012 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah. And I see your confusion, as the Wiki implies that this was fixed in the snapshot. I'm going to fix the wiki so that it isn't confusing on this point.
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #814062 is a reply to message #814044] Tue, 06 March 2012 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please see this bug. We've got a solution, just looks like it needs to be built. https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=371034
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #814799 is a reply to message #812756] Tue, 06 March 2012 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leo Dos Santos is currently offline Leo Dos SantosFriend
Today's snapshot builds have some fixes to better support Virgo 3.5. Definitely update if you get a chance.

Note that we've made some changes to how we consume our Virgo kernel dependencies. We've also divested ourselves of any SpringSource Tool Suite/Spring IDE/Spring Framework dependencies with this snapshot. What this means is that you can now install Virgo IDE into an Eclipse JEE package without the need for STS or Spring IDE, but the list of required update sites has changed slightly. Updated snapshot install instructions are available from the tooling wiki.
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #814965 is a reply to message #814799] Wed, 07 March 2012 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot Miles and Leo. Will try out the latest snapshot now. Thanks for the excellent work on Virgo!
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #831137 is a reply to message #814965] Wed, 28 March 2012 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin W. is currently offline Martin W.Friend
Hi everybody,

@ Miles:

Quote:
wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Tooling#Special_Note.

I think the anchor Special_Note does not exist on that website...

@ Leo:
Quote:
Today's snapshot builds have some fixes to better support Virgo 3.5. Definitely update if you get a chance.

I suppose the "Installation Steps (for the snapshot builds)" on the above site should include the Virgo update site: ...virgo/updatesite/3.5.0.M03 (M03 instead of M02).

@ My Problem:
I keep having the problem that my Bundle Dependencies are empty: in project properties, Java Build Path, Libraries, Bundle Dependencies: contains no JARs or referenced projects. Sometimes only JARs are missing but referenced projects are there. But the same JARs are there for other bundle projects (having the same runtime configuration)

Therefore, when I press 'Add' in the Manifest's Wizard, I see no packages to add. Existing imports are often marked as missing. Removing them and adding them (manually, in the textual view) sometimes solves the problem. However, next time I start Eclipse, the problem is usually back.

I tried to vary the following:

IDEs:
- Eclipse (eclipse-jee-indigo-SR1-win32-x86_64)
- SpringSource Tool Suite (springsource-tool-suite-2.9.1.RELEASE-e3.7.2-win32-x86_64)

Virgo:
- virgo-tomcat-server-3.0.2.RELEASE
- virgo-tomcat-server-3.5.0.M03

Tooling: (cf. wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Tooling)
- Installation Steps (for the milestone builds)
- Installation Steps (for the snapshot builds) --- except that I used the update site for 3.5.0.M03 (as I wrote above)

Can anybody give me a hint in which combination of IDE/Virgo/Tooling it should work best? Or which log files should I look into?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

All the best,
Martin
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #831167 is a reply to message #831137] Wed, 28 March 2012 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Installation Steps (for the snapshot builds) --- except that I used the update site for 3.5.0.M03 (as I wrote above)

I also tried with the 3.5.0.M02 update site now...

The odd thing: Now everything seems fine at first: I can build all my bundles, and the only errors are marked in the Spring config files. I deployed 8 bundles to the server without any problems, then the 9th - suddenly the Bundle Dependencies are not found, and marked as errors in the IDE again. Sad

Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #832209 is a reply to message #831167] Thu, 29 March 2012 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the wiki has been updated since the last time this thread was bumped. There's been an M03 release of the server and the tools should work fine against those, but note that we have been building against M02.

You can manage the Bundle Dependencies classpath container by going into project properties, and selecting the Targeted Runtimes page. There's a chance that the project is not configured to target a Virgo runtime, or is targeting one that is no longer properly set up. If you select a valid Virgo runtime from this dialog Eclipse will update your project's class paths, and that will hopefully fix your Bundle Dependencies entries.
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #832767 is a reply to message #832209] Fri, 30 March 2012 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Leo! I also tried with M02 version of server and snapshot Virgo tooling now. I checked the Target Runtimes and Bundle Dependencies... No success. Sad

Take a look at the attached screenshot: I have two bundles, both require dependencies from a Jena library, which I put in the repository. Both bundles can be deployed and started successfully. Still, for one of the two bundles, the wizard tells me that the Import-Packages cannot be resolved.

(I created a Jena-Library-JAR using bndtools, all required dependencies were taken from the SpringSource Bundle Repository. I used a fresh installation of Eclipse with the latest snapshot of Virgo Tooling, and in the workspace there are only one server and only one server runtime environment.)

Interestingly, the very same bundles work perfectly fine with an old installation of SpringSource Tool Suite 2.8.1, Virgo 3.0.1, and Virgo tooling 1.0.0.201110312003-SNAPSHOT. I just tried once again, starting from a fresh workspace in that installation. Everything is fine there. (EDIT: Web Application Bundles seem to make trouble already with Virgo 3.0.2 and this version of tooling.)

Afterwards, I started the other installation with 1.0.0.201203202115-SNAPSHOT, created a new 3.5.0.M03 server (same files in repository/usr), and imported all the bundles form the first workspace. I can clean, build, and deploy my bundles - no errors occur so far. Also after restarting Eclipse.

However: Once I open the wizard for one of my manifests and add a whitespace somewhere, and save the file: the errors are back: "Import-Package: ... cannot be resolved" and bundle dependencies are empty again. (There are no errors in the workspace .metadata/.log)
Rolling Eyes

Should I file a bug?

All the best,
Martin

[Updated on: Fri, 30 March 2012 16:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #832902 is a reply to message #832767] Fri, 30 March 2012 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's bizarre. So upon editing the manifest and saving it, the project loses its Bundle Dependencies state and all Import-Package headers are unresolved? If you clean the project after one of these edits, does it rebuild properly or does it continue to report the same errors?

Yes, please file a bug. It would be nice to have a screencap with the specific errors that are reported on the MANIFEST.MF tab or the Markers view if possible.
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #834514 is a reply to message #832767] Mon, 02 April 2012 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin W. wrote on Fri, 30 March 2012 11:04
Thanks Leo! I also tried with M02 version of server and snapshot Virgo tooling now. I checked the Target Runtimes and Bundle Dependencies... No success. Sad

Take a look at the attached screenshot: I have two bundles, both require dependencies from a Jena library, which I put in the repository. Both bundles can be deployed and started successfully. Still, for one of the two bundles, the wizard tells me that the Import-Packages cannot be resolved.

(I created a Jena-Library-JAR using bndtools, all required dependencies were taken from the SpringSource Bundle Repository. I used a fresh installation of Eclipse with the latest snapshot of Virgo Tooling, and in the workspace there are only one server and only one server runtime environment.)

Interestingly, the very same bundles work perfectly fine with an old installation of SpringSource Tool Suite 2.8.1, Virgo 3.0.1, and Virgo tooling 1.0.0.201110312003-SNAPSHOT. I just tried once again, starting from a fresh workspace in that installation. Everything is fine there. (EDIT: Web Application Bundles seem to make trouble already with Virgo 3.0.2 and this version of tooling.)

Afterwards, I started the other installation with 1.0.0.201203202115-SNAPSHOT, created a new 3.5.0.M03 server (same files in repository/usr), and imported all the bundles form the first workspace. I can clean, build, and deploy my bundles - no errors occur so far. Also after restarting Eclipse.

However: Once I open the wizard for one of my manifests and add a whitespace somewhere, and save the file: the errors are back: "Import-Package: ... cannot be resolved" and bundle dependencies are empty again. (There are no errors in the workspace .metadata/.log)
Rolling Eyes

Should I file a bug?

All the best,
Martin

I am having the same problem with 3.5.0.M2, sometimes changing something in MANIFET.MF, changing it back and saving it resolves the error, but sometimes don't, especially when your server is up.
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #834688 is a reply to message #834514] Mon, 02 April 2012 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay Huang wrote on Sun, 01 April 2012 23:16
... especially when your server is up.

Yeah that's it. I should have seen it before - the problem occurs only when the server is up....

I also filed a bug now: bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=375818

All the best,
Martin
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #837063 is a reply to message #812756] Thu, 05 April 2012 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hooray! I found a workaround.

Just put all the libraries in /repository/ext (and put nothing at all in
/repository/usr). Then everything works as it should.

Jay, could you test if that also works for you? Thx!

All the best,
Martin
Re: Empty bundle dependecies after upgrading VTS to 3.5.0.M2 [message #837178 is a reply to message #837063] Thu, 05 April 2012 11:11 Go to previous message
Martin W. wrote on Thu, 05 April 2012 04:25
Hooray! I found a workaround.

Just put all the libraries in /repository/ext (and put nothing at all in
/repository/usr). Then everything works as it should.

Jay, could you test if that also works for you? Thx!

All the best,
Martin

Hi Martin, yes i've been doing it as i noticed only the libraries in /repository/usr are being complained. cheers.
Previous Topic:Embed Eclipse Virgo inside another application server
Next Topic:Fresh installation problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:07:42 GMT 2024