Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » [Solved] How do I use alternative keystore and truststore providers when using Eclipse?
[Solved] How do I use alternative keystore and truststore providers when using Eclipse? [message #811130] Fri, 02 March 2012 00:40 Go to next message
Dustin Parker is currently offline Dustin ParkerFriend
Hi forum,

Searching furiously hasn't turned up anything, so here's my problem. I'd like to use Oracle's MSCAPI support for Java in Eclipse to hit a secure website. Here's a simple test I've been doing from the command line:

cat > TestURL.java <<EOT
import java.net.*;
public class TestURL {
    public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
        System.out.println(((HttpURLConnection)new URL(args[0]).openConnection()).getResponseCode());
    }
}
EOT
javac TestURL.java
java -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=NONE -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=Windows-ROOT -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=NONE -Djavax.net.ssl.keyStoreType=Windows-MY -cp . TestURL some-secure-site-address
# Pin is prompted for here...
# Should report 200

The MSCAPI extension causes a prompt for my PIN, and the connection is made successfully. Notice the javax.net.ssl parameters. My eclipse.ini has these lines at the bottom:

-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=NONE
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStoreType=Windows-MY
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=NONE
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=Windows-ROOT

After launching Eclipse, I used VisualVM to verify that these system properties did indeed get set in the JVM. However, trying to connect to our task repository (a JIRA installation) results in a handshake_failure. It seems like Eclipse or one of its plugins is reconfiguring the SSL context. How can I either get Eclipse to obey those SSL settings?

EDIT: After setting
javax.net.ssl.{key,trust}StorePassword
, I've found something interesting:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: NONE (The system cannot find the file specified)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:120)
	at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.mylyn.internal.commons.net.PollingSslProtocolSocketFactory.<init>(PollingSslProtocolSocketFactory.java:72)
	at org.eclipse.mylyn.commons.net.WebUtil.<clinit>(WebUtil.java:194)
	at org.eclipse.mylyn.internal.tasks.ui.TasksUiPlugin.start(TasksUiPlugin.java:549)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$1.run(BundleContextImpl.java:711)
        [snip]

I looked at an older version at grepcode (I can't post the link since I have <25 posts) and found it tries to use these standard properties itself and chokes on the fact that NONE isn't a valid file. I created a file called "NONE" in Eclipse's home directory and, lo and behold, it works! Now I can use my smart card from within Eclipse, woo hoo!

[Updated on: Fri, 02 March 2012 00:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [Solved] How do I use alternative keystore and truststore providers when using Eclipse? [message #1234359 is a reply to message #811130] Tue, 21 January 2014 19:43 Go to previous message
Jeff Lockemy is currently offline Jeff LockemyFriend

I wanted to thank you so much for posting this. I was looking for settings in order to use the MSCAPI to access certificates from the Windows store for a Java plug-in that we are running. Your posting pointed me in the right direction and helped me tremendously.

Jeff
Previous Topic:How to get Eclipse Installed
Next Topic:Status bar icons not working correctly in eclipse 4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:01:33 GMT 2024